The Seven Gods of Westeros are actually Seven Prophets.

Mikjay84

I am currently in the midst of a second read of the series, and I started speculating that the New Gods are actually seven prophets that will play a role in protecting the realm from the Others. There has been subtle references to misinterpreting prophecies, especially from Melisandre. As far as I know, there is no reference to how the Faith of the Seven Gods started, but is it possible that the Seven were the creation of a past individuals misinterpretation of a prophecy and/or historical text?

If there are truly seven prophets, instead of seven gods, I believe they are:

Father (Stannis) - Represents judgment, and is prayed to for justice.

Mother (Daenarys) - Represents motherhood and nurturing.

Warrior (Jon Snow) - Represents strength in battle. Is depicted as carrying a sword, which could be JS's Longclaw. This could also coincide with the theory that JS is Azor Ahai.

Maiden (Sansa) - Represents innocence and chastity.

Smith (Gendry) - Represents crafts and labor. Is depicted as carrying a hammer.

Crone (Bran) - Represents wisdom. Prayed to for guidance.

Stranger (Arya) - Represents death and the unknown.

I could try and find more excerpts to support this notion, but I wanted to share my theory with the forum and see if anyone else has similar thoughts.

I am currently in the midst of a second read of the series, and I started speculating that the New Gods are actually seven prophets that will play a role in protecting the realm from the Others. There has been subtle references to misinterpreting prophecies, especially from Melisandre. As far as I know, there is no reference to how the Faith of the Seven Gods started, but is it possible that the Seven were the creation of a past individuals misinterpretation of a prophecy and/or historical text?

If there are truly seven prophets, instead of seven gods, I believe they are:

Father (Stannis) - Represents judgment, and is prayed to for justice.

Mother (Daenarys) - Represents motherhood and nurturing.

Warrior (Jon Snow) - Represents strength in battle. Is depicted as carrying a sword, which could be JS's Longclaw. This could also coincide with the theory that JS is Azor Ahai.

Maiden (Sansa) - Represents innocence and chastity.

Smith (Gendry) - Represents crafts and labor. Is depicted as carrying a hammer.

Crone (Bran) - Represents wisdom. Prayed to for guidance.

Stranger (Arya) - Represents death and the unknown.

I could try and find more excerpts to support this notion, but I wanted to share my theory with the forum and see if anyone else has similar thoughts.

Somebody did ask Martin once "Are the Seven choosing champions from the Seven Kingdoms?" but he did not answer.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1283

It's actually one god with seven aspects. There has been some speculation that those aspects have been represented in the past by seven heroes, so we could have that again. Most of the theorizing in that regard centers around one person accompanied by seven companions (like the Last Hero and his twelve companions, and his dog). So usually Jon or Dany gets main hero status and the seven aspects are applied to other characters.

Archived