Aegon's claim

Here Shaggydog

My issue here is that I dont think Tyrion will be trying to help allign Dany to Aegon, but will instead try to influence her against Aegon. In Tyrion's Cyrasse game with Aegon in Dance, Tyrion tricks Aegon into not using his dragon piece and ends up defeating Aegon for making that blunder. In that same conversation, Tyrion convinces Aegon to attack Westeros without Dany (and her Dragons). Later, Tyrion is shocked and ammused that Aegon took the bait and attacked Westeros without Dany's help. I do not think Tyrion has Aegons best interests at heart and will but be speaking his praises to Dany. More likely, he will tell her that another Targeryen is going to take her throne unless she stops him by force. She has developed into too much of a conqueror to allow Aegon to have Westeros just because he has a better claim than her. Now if Aegon was smart, he would submit to Dany as soon as she gets to Westeros with Dragons, but I doubt he will. His pride and belief that he is the true heir to the IT with prevent him from submitting to Dany.

Tyrion only wants one thing: Casterly Rock with Cersei's head mounted at the top. He will do whatever he can to get that.

I have no doubt that we are going to see another Dance within the next 2 or 3 books. But that doesn't mean it occurs immediately after Dany finds out about Aegon. Dany's whole arc has been learning to rule. She won't immediately attack Aegon. I believe that they will meet have some alliance and then after a series of events they turn on each other. If Aegon is fake, I can see that as one of the major events that cause the rift between Aegon and Dany. If he is real, the rift may have something to do with a difference in how to rule

As Daenerys enters Qarth, she passes under an arch of green, black, and blue snakes...

All the colors that had been missing from Vaes Tolorro had found their way to Qarth; buildings crowded about her fantastical as a fever dream in shades of rose, violet, and umber. She passed under a bronze arch fashioned in the likeness of two snakes mating, their scales delicate flakes of jade, obsidian, and lapis lazuli. Slim towers stood taller than any Dany had ever seen, and elaborate fountains filled every square, wrought in the shapes of griffins and dragons and manticores.

Daenerys II, Clash

Notice that she observes fountains wrought in the shapes of griffins and dragons and manticores. The griffin and dragon allusions are easy, of course, Jon Connington and Aegon. But the manticore allusion is much more elusive. In case you dont know, the manticore is a chimera, a fantastical beast comprised of the body parts of more than one animal or other mythical beast. The manticore most commonly consisted of a human head, a lions body, a bats wings, and a scorpions tail, but there were other variations. In ASOIAF, the manticore was much smaller, with a malign, black face and an arched, venomous tail, with the ability to fold itself into a scarab. In the real world, the manticore and chimeras were depicted in the art of the Romanesque and Renaissance periods to symbolize fraud. So, we have Jon Connington, Aegon, and fraud.

Tyrion only wants one thing: Casterly Rock with Cersei's head mounted at the top. He will do whatever he can to get that.

I have no doubt that we are going to see another Dance within the next 2 or 3 books. But that doesn't mean it occurs immediately after Dany finds out about Aegon. Dany's whole arc has been learning to rule. She won't immediately attack Aegon. I believe that they will meet have some alliance and then after a series of events they turn on each other. If Aegon is fake, I can see that as one of the major events that cause the rift between Aegon and Dany. If he is real, the rift may have something to do with a difference in how to rule

Tyrion definitely wants Casterly Rock but he also enjoys the game of thrones and wants to play on Dany's team, not Aegons. I am not sure why he is against Dany and Aegon uniting forces, but based on for cyrasse conversation with Aegon, it appears that he is.

As to Dany, her arc has been learning how to rule, but after the disaster in Meereen, I think Her arc with turn her into more of a leader of conquest and away from being a leader of peace. I doubt that the ancestry of Aegon will be known to her or influence her course of action.

For 5 giant books, GRRM presents Jon as a bastard of Ned but the books are full of clues pointing that Jon is actually a Targaryen. Aegon only appeared in a few chapters and already Randyll called him a feigned boy. With this in mind, the true parentage of Aegon turning out to be different than he claims/knows is completely normal and possible. My guess is that GRRM will not give definite proofs of the truth or falsehood of Aegon's claim. The clues present in the saga are more than enough to make me believe that Aegon is a Brightfyre.

I know of the theories and they are convincing to an extent, I just think that they lack evidence. Raegon also lacks evidence, but i believe it for a lot of reasons and more importantly because of gut feeling and the sense that I have now of what kind of book Martin is writing.

I can analyse many reasons of why I think he is real but maybe it would be off topic. Also I have done it in a similar thread where the "burden of proof" lies was discussed mostly.

If he is legitimate he has a claim to the throne - however with Stannis having a better claim and Dany also having a claim it would be very hard for him to actually take the throne…

As your signature indicates, power resides where men think it resides, and men dont like Stannis (GRRM mentions it repeatedly throughout the series). For Stannis's claim to convince anyone, he would have to prove that Tommen and Mycella are incest bastards which he has not been able to do so far. After all of the horror to befall Westeros, I think people will flock to the Targeryen son of the beloved Rhaegar instead of the Baratheon-Lannisters in power now. On top of all of that, Dany is half way accross the world (for now) and Stannis is chillin in the North. I doubt it would be very hard for Aegon to take the throne, especially with Dorne, the Stormlands on his side.

Line Of Succession to the Iron Throne (from Wiki)

If Aegon is who he and his supporters purport him to be, his claim to the Iron Throne is stronger than that of his aunt Daenerys Targaryen. [29][34] According to the relevant succession laws,

The sons of the first son come before the second son. [36]

Aegon is a son of Rhaegar, who was himself the first son of Aerys II, placing Aegon higher in the Targaryen succession line than both Viserys (Aerys's second son) and Daenerys (the daughter of Aerys). [36]

Since the Dance of the Dragons, House Targaryen has practiced a highly modified version of agnatic primogeniture, placing female claimants in the line of succession behind all possible male ones, even collateral relations.

After her her brother's death in Vaes Dothrak Daenerys is referred to as queen - there are no male Targaryen heirs and she is the very last of her line [37] - but if Aegon’s claim is a rightful one then according to the relevant succession laws she is a princess of Westeros, not a queen. She is queen of Meereen in her own right nevertheless, having conquered the city and installed herself as ruler.

However, in contrast to the alleged Aegon Targaryen, Daenerys Targaryen's lineage is not under suspicion. During a small council meeting in the Red Keep's throne room concerning the Targaryen pretender, Kevan Lannister says as much, stating that there is

A second Targaryen, and one whose blood no man can question. Daenerys Stormborn. [2]

During the Golden Company’s rendezvous with Jon Connington in Volantis Homeless Harry Strickland points out that Aegon's lineage can be questioned and Aegon’s marriage to his aunt would quell any doubts,

Has the sun curdled your brains, Flowers? We need the girl. We need the marriage. If Daenerys accepts our princeling and takes him for her consort, the Seven Kingdoms will do the same. Without her, the lords will only mock his claim and brand him a fraud and a pretender. [34]

Nevertheless the men of the Golden Company are sick of waiting for Daenerys, who is ensconced in Meereen and female besides, whom they refer to as “a child queen” a “girl” and a “little queen”. They decide to take their chances on Aegon.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon_Targaryen#Line_Of_Succession_to_the_Iron_Throne

Archived