Fashion - for The Children edition

Fragile Bird

Yeah, sorry.  Budget is pretty subjective and important, and I didn't set any parameters there. 

I should have said that the Frederique Constant that I linked costs $1,000, which I guess has now become a baseline because there is a nice option available at that price.  That would be much more expensive than my current watches, but not unreasonable.  Especially since $100-500 is the price range for very generic watches in any department store (Seiko, Movado, etc), and I guess I'm looking for something different now.  I only mentioned $20k because it seems flat out unreasonable.

$3,500 is slightly more than I spend on a custom suit, so it seems a bit expensive for just a watch.  I'm not a watch fanatic that prizes my wrist-piece over an entire suit, even if I do wear the watch every day -- some people calculate cost per wear.

And you can probably already see the problem with setting a budget here: there is no clear intrinsic value to apply to a "nice" watch, so I'm trying to apply some borders based on the relative cost of other things.

I'm sure the very wide range of prices for relatively similar watches is precisely to push consumers to sort themselves into their willingness-to-pay.  My microeconomics and marketing and pricing strategies professors were all pretty emphatic that is the way to maximize producer surplus, and minimize consumer surplus, for the industry as a whole.

No way is Patek Philippe 100 times better to me than my current Seiko, but to someone it is.

Edit - Lany, I like that Bulova.  And it raises the very same question: isn't it pretty similar to the FC?  Should I really pay 6x for the FC?

I used to wear pricier watches, in my corporate lawyering days, but never more than $500. Twenty-five years ago, though, so more than $1,000 today?

These days I find beautiful watches can be easily found for less than $500, and I'm happy to buy those. That Bulova watch Lany linked is certainly subtly elegant enough to satisfy me, if there was a woman's equivalent. :)

Archived