Dany is going to conquer most of known Essos

David C. Hunter

Dany's dragons may be only teenagers, but no one else has any. So I think she can burn pretty much whatever she wants to burn by flying to cities on her own and attacking targets from the sky. No one can even resist that if they don't know she is coming. And right now, noone knows where she is so she could attack literally anyone without the slightest resistance.

Dany's dragons may be only teenagers, but no one else has any. So I think she can burn pretty much whatever she wants to burn by flying to cities on her own and attacking targets from the sky. No one can even resist that if they don't know she is coming. And right now, noone knows where she is so she could attack literally anyone without the slightest resistance.

Aye, and she's got one huge ego. I doubt she'll put up with much resistance, especially with what happened at Meereen. Anyway, will she go for all of Essos? She might just go for Westeros and only Westeros.

I think not, crossbows, and archers can still slow them down and one scorpion would finish them. Smarter to rely only troops for a good two years or more.

True dat.

I think not, crossbows, and archers can still slow them down and one scorpion would finish them. Smarter to rely only troops for a good two years or more.

We had a good discussion of this in a thread a few weeks back.

It would be hard as hell to hit a dragon with a scorpion. Scorpions have a narrow firing arc and are very difficult to move. If the scorpions aren't camouflaged they're useless because you could just avoid their firing arc. The dragon would have to fly precisely into its arc, and then you better not miss because once you fire you've revealed your position and can't fire again for a couple of minutes, by which time you are certain to be engulfed in flame.

Mass archery could be more problematic for young dragons. My impression is that at some point their armor is sufficient that they become basically impervious to archery except for the eyes, but I'm not certain about that. In the picture of Balerion that has been circulating recently you can see he is actually wearing a breastplate - but that's a head-scratcher to me. How the heck do you get a gigantic breastplate on a gigantic dragon, and then what happens when the dragon keeps growing? Assuming it's true that they ever do, I have no idea when Dany's dragons would reach the "impervious to archery" phase.

Actually, scorpians can be found on castle walls or forts, no need to camouflage if you are defending, dragons would have to come down to burn castles, a specially a baby dragon, a good archer could perfectly see when to loose it at a dragon. Same tactic can be used on a ship. It is how Meraxes and stormcload died, a hit to the neck.

Dany's dragons are young dragons.

If no one knows she is coming, there is no army of archers and no one manning scorpions to stop her.

How would they not know she is coming? This cities have walls and men manning them, unless she ignores the walls and simple burn armless citizens like Aemond did I don't see how she would catch anyone unguarded.

Arrows are more useful for deterring dragon riders than the actual dragons. They're not even that effective for killing armored humans outside of a very short distance, much less fire-breathing monsters no matter how small. As for the rest, I'm curious if dragons can function well enough in the darkness to launch night attacks. After all, it's not like they have to worry about friendly fire.

How would they not know she is coming? This cities have walls and men manning them, unless she ignores the walls and simple burn armless citizens like Aemond did I don't see how she would catch anyone unguarded.

If she is flying alone over great distances on a dragon, how WOULD they know she is coming? Drogon is faster than any raven, she has no marching army with her, just heaps of wrath to direct against the worst offender cities.

She would be on top of them before they could ring a bell.

Actually, scorpians can be found on castle walls or forts, no need to camouflage if you are defending, dragons would have to come down to burn castles, a specially a baby dragon, a good archer could perfectly see when to loose it at a dragon. Same tactic can be used on a ship. It is how Meraxes and stormcload died, a hit to the neck.

Dany's dragons are young dragons.

You're right, I'm talking about field battles when I talk about camouflage. And I think dragons are the most useful in the field.

I would suspect that a dragon that is vulnerable to archery would be difficult to employ successfully in a castle assault or siege. You'd have to be very careful, anyway - use high-altitude recon to ID the defenses and make hit-and-run attacks on weak spot.

Meraxes died from a bolt to the eye and Stormcloud died of arrows to the body but was young - I have no idea what his age was compared to Dany's 3.

We saw from Stormcload baby -dragons hides can be pierced by arrows and crossbow bolts.

Stormcloud had a scorpion bolt through its neck. The sheer number of arrows embedded in its belly suggests that the scorpion bolt was the bigger problem by far.

Archived