The slave free folk

ackyou

Apart from being amusingly ironic, the free folk who were captured by the Tyroshi might serve a greater purpose in the plot. So far, just about everyone in the south has not even heard of white walkers attacking, and what little word that gets out from the wall is seldom believed. An influx of thousands of wildlings into the narrow sea slave market, and at Braavos, will likely spread tales of the white walkers quite far, and may likely be believed as there are so many witnesses. This could get the attention of particularly the red priests in the free cities, and Dany, should she begin to make her way west.

Nice theory. But IIRC the free folks taken as slaves at Hardhome took place a long time ago.

Nowadays, nobody but the Watch (Cotter Pyke) cares about them so I dont think they will be taken as slaves. No ships but those send by Jon would dare going there and with "dead things in the water", I doubt any ship would manage to get intact to hardhome, much less enchain and embark thousands of wildlings and get out of there intact.

But it would be fun if what drives Dany (and / or Red Priests) north is those tales told by wildlings in the south.

Nice theory. But IIRC the free folks taken as slaves at Hardhome took place a long time ago.

Nowadays, nobody but the Watch (Cotter Pyke) cares about them so I dont think they will be taken as slaves. No ships but those send by Jon would dare going there and with "dead things in the water", I doubt any ship would manage to get intact to hardhome, much less enchain and embark thousands of wildlings and get out of there intact.

But it would be fun if what drives Dany (and / or Red Priests) north is those tales told by wildlings in the south.

I think he is talking more about the two ships that have already taken slaves. We know the fate of one ship (Braavos) and the fate of the second is unknown. All of those slaves that have seen the White Walkers are now at the very least in Braavos, word is going to spread like wildfire, just as news of Dany and her Dragons spread. Does this mean it will be believed by the rest of the world, no, but it is a good start for spreading of the news.

A group is more likely to be blieved, and all the free folk are quite certain of the other's existence. It will spread very quickly through braavos and the slave markets in the southern free cities(assuming that the other ship get's that far, but It might also land in westeros, which would spread word to where it really counts). I doubt the lords will believe the stories, but it might weigh on them when the nights watch begs for more aid to fight the white walkers, maybe finally enough to focus everyone on the true threat.

A group is more likely to be blieved, and all the free folk are quite certain of the other's existence. It will spread very quickly through braavos and the slave markets in the southern free cities(assuming that the other ship get's that far, but It might also land in westeros, which would spread word to where it really counts). I doubt the lords will believe the stories, but it might weigh on them when the nights watch begs for more aid to fight the white walkers, maybe finally enough to focus everyone on the true threat.

One can only hope that the Southern Lords will listen. However most Southern Lords feel everything beyond the wall is a great big myth.

I've always thought this was the case - the second I heard about the ship being detained in Bravoos, i expected news of the Wall would circulate around the free cities and reach the House of Black and White. Possibly the rumors would be proved, at least in part, if Stannis' Knights ever get there.

I'm glad somebody brought up this topic. This is the easiest way for Dany to hear about the Others crisis. Maybe she will come to Braavos to find the House with the red door.

I am curious about the connection between HoB&W and greenseers. Are they priests of the great Other? Or are they against Others? The news of wildlings may make them do something about it, too.

I think the red priests already know about the threat. Melisandre's main concern was the war in the north, not the game of thrones.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived