Authors and their obsession with one world.

Andrew Gilfellon

Terry Brooks the Word and the Void series tied into Shannara as I think DR pointed out. It worked much better as a different world and I do not know what benefit was had by shoehorning it in.

I always assumed by the timing and the tone of the later ones that 9/11 and ensuing world fuckery turned his world view a bit dark for a while.

I mean

The first one where they begin to tie together is pretty much "hey we all nuked each other, evil won, and there is no hope. Well fuck. "

Yeah I assume you are right DR. I just found the Word and Void series superior to any of the Shannara stuff. Even the better and less derivitive Shannara is still a bit of a hack. The Word and the Void was fairly original at least. Shame they had to tie it in to the general Shannara series but it does make sense what with the political climate of thee times.

It's hard enough thinking up new characters and plots, there's not much motivation to come up with an entirely new world.

Neal Stephenson and Iain Banks seemed to be able to do this relatively easily and well too.

Archived