Who is more important for the show to cast: Arianne or the Griffs? (Book Spoilers)

jaimereborn

My suspicion is that the two tie-in together. That said, Aegon, or rather, his storyline, looks to be the more important of the two. If you eliminate Aegon -- which looks to be what they have done -- then Arianne becomes strictly a luxury.

In fact, I'm sure they would have cut Arianne even if Aegon had shown up.

<Shrug>

I liked the Aegon plot in ADWD, but it remains to be seen how important he really is to the book plot. Maybe he's just another one of the unnecessary wrinkles GRRM started adding to the story after the end of ASOS. Assuming that the author ever finishes the books, we'll find out.

Arianne's main plot can be taken up by other characters (Ellaria or Sand Snakes or Trystane or Doran for QueenMaker Revenge, Sand Snakes for marrying Aegon) especially if she is less important in the long run of the story than any of them. Aegon could really be anybody or nobody if the Griffs are extinguished quickly.

The Griffs could enter the story anyway that D&D want since they weren't some dormant character that they had already presented. For all we know GRRM didn't decide to put the Griffs into the story until AFFC/ADWD, since it isn't like they were established characters. D&D could choose any way to bring them in just like GRRM did. Aegon could be some Dornish person or some Tyrell person or someone at the Wall or someone that actually travels to Dany or someone that's living in flea bottom drinking bowls of brown or he is no one because he dies early in TWOW anyway.

Archived