Video Game Culture - In Need of Serious Self Reflection?

Relic

Like you said...

In her case the fact that she didn't make a report but did make a huge deal about the whole thing leads me to believe either it didn't happen at all or she knew it wasn't the real deal and misrepresented. As there is some talk of a police investigation for fraud best not to comment further.

It's not about hurtful comments, it's about some douche taking offense at absolutely nothing or picking on some completely irrelevant issue.

if you're invited in you quickly work out what the deal is. If you don't like the environment the chances of you changing it are slim to zilch, you'll just end up getting a shit load of abuse, achieve nothing and frankly there's better ways I can spend my time.

The wider criticism of the SJWs intrusion into gaming is they'll end up wrecking what has so far been a pretty anarchic, innovative and above all fun sub culture, but that's another discussion.

If someone's making death threats then frankly it should be reported to the cops. Threatening someone with rape, assault or murder is against actual laws in the real world.

But anyway well done for totally misrepresenting my argument, slaying a couple of strawmen along the way and defaming me by inference. SJW trolling at it's finest.

I never understood what the problem was with being a Social Justice Warrior? Isn't that a good thing? To fight for social justice? I think it looks like a compliment. I'd LIKE to be a social justice warrior. I want justice for people. How can that be wrong? What is the opposite then? Anti-justice warriors?

I like how feminists, who don't even bother expelling or even reacting against misandrism and sexism among their own ranks, feel like they have the moral authority to hold responsible a much more loosely defined group ("gamers") for not completely eradicating assholes among their own groups.

I am a feminist AND a gamer and I try my hardest to eradicate assholes within the group "gamers" thank you very much. Perhaps if everyone tried to take constructive action the world would be a better place? How about that?

I am a feminist AND a gamer and I try my hardest to eradicate assholes within the group "gamers" thank you very much. Perhaps if everyone tried to take constructive action the world would be a better place? How about that?

So you agree with me that feminists don't bother eradicating sexism against men and misandrism from their own (feminist, not necessarily gamer) groups? Because you kinda skipped commenting on that part.

I like how feminists, who don't even bother expelling or even reacting against misandrism and sexism among their own ranks

First off, wrong topic. This is about gamers, not about feminists.

Secondly, this is backed up where? By what evidence? We have a lot of gaming evidence that shows that people will actually fabricate information to defend their culture - like the stuff we just saw with Aurini. In feminism circles by comparison it is a staple that feminists trash each other fairly regularly. It's one of the larger problems within feminism, which stands to reason given that feminism is a self-identifying label and feminism encourages everyone to make their own choices - including ones that might be fairly abhorrent to feminists.

Identity-based movements may be particularly susceptible, precisely because of our personal investment in them. Feminism isn't just a general ideology for making the world a better place: it's a very specific ideology of liberation for the actors of the movement. It is personal by definition. Challenges to the movement, or the sense that other women are somehow doing feminism wrong, can feel like personal affronts. For feminists, your work often feels like a reflection of who you are, and the critiques even more so.

Feel free to start a topic on the toxicity of the feminist movement if you want to follow up on it.

I never understood what the problem was with being a Social Justice Warrior? Isn't that a good thing? To fight for social justice? I think it looks like a compliment. I'd LIKE to be a social justice warrior. I want justice for people. How can that be wrong? What is the opposite then? Anti-justice warriors?

Do you play MMOs looking for potential racists and misogynists or to have fun? I'm thinking is the latter, so if you encounter people you dislike rather than waste precious time and effort trying to change them why not simply ignore? We have a big world outside of gaming, where people can debate this stuff endlessly, gaming to me at least seems an entirely inappropriate medium for these kind of activities. That's the point I'm making though no doubt Kalbear will use this as proof of my latent Nazism.

Archived