Will Brienne play a big role in TWOW?

larastone

“So speaks a maid who has never played the game with anyone. Once you do you’ll take a different view. In the dark you’d be as beautiful as any other woman. Your lips were made for kissing.”

- Hyle Hunt to Brienne in AFFC

The last sentence may be foreshadowing Brienne receiving "the kiss of life" at some point...

Or it may be foreshadowing that Brienne will be receiving another type of kiss.

I'm thinking Jaime might be forced to kill her. Her journey will continue by being stuck in Jaimes head

When GRRM said Brienne's journey still had a way to go, he was talking about Brienne's ideals and if they will be altered by the tests she will face during her journey. How can that happen in Jaime's head?

“I had heard the wench was ugly, and I told him so, but he said all women were the same once you blew the candle out.”

- Red Ronnet in the Jaime chapter where he knocks him down for insulting Brienne (AFFC)

“Her candle burned out. Darkness settled over the Old Stone Bridge, and the inn grew so still that she could hear the murmur of the river. Only then did Brienne rise..."

- Brienne when she left her companions at an Inn and set off by herself (AFFC)

Candle burning out and then rising? Sounds like a resurrection to me.

I'm not sure if I take that as book canon, though. I do think we'll see Brienne on the road for a time, except with Jaime in tow. Angst ensues!

lol D&D are going into TWOW material in Season 5 though, and I think the reason why they had Brienne meet Arya in season 4 and that they'll have her meet Sansa in season 5 is because I don't think Brienne's arc with the way that it was in the books would translate well onscreen at all.

if the rumore about Brienne meeting Sansa in season 5 is true and if Brienne fails to get her, I do think that's a hint about her TWOW arc

Well one thing for sure is that she'll definitely end up betraying Stoneheart for Jaime. It would be a nice parallel with Ned I think, because he also ultimately chose his loved ones over his honor.

I'm curious as to whether the Red Wedding 2.0 will happen lol, because I really fucking hope so.....because I can totally see Lady Stoneheart taking Riverrun

Stoneheart has already betrayed her.

"...and pledge to ask no service of you that might bring you into dishonor."

Stoneheart has already betrayed her.

"...and pledge to ask no service of you that might bring you into dishonor."

Cat also promised Brienne forever guest right and then Stoneheart denied it to her.

"And I vow that you shall always have a place by my hearth and meat and mead at my table, and pledge to ask no service of you that might bring you into dishonor." -ACOK

“The northman said, “She says that you must choose. Take the sword and slay the Kingslayer, or be hanged for a betrayer. The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose.”

Brienne may be able to get around it anyway because Lady Stoneheart wasn't too specific in her ultimatum... "slay the kingslayer" - well isn't Brienne herself considered "a kingslayer" too because people think she killed Renly...

I could see her slaying HERSELF instead - sacrificing herself to save Jaime.

“I had heard the wench was ugly, and I told him so, but he said all women were the same once you blew the candle out.”

- Red Ronnet in the Jaime chapter where he knocks him down for insulting Brienne (AFFC)

“Her candle burned out. Darkness settled over the Old Stone Bridge, and the inn grew so still that she could hear the murmur of the river. Only then did Brienne rise..."

- Brienne when she left her companions at an Inn and set off by herself (AFFC)

Candle burning out and then rising? Sounds like a resurrection to me.

The reason I don't believe Brienne has been or will be resurrected is because GRRM made a statement about Brienne's moral beliefs and how his world will test them. GRRM has also said that people come back as less than what they were. How can GRRM explore Brienne's moral evolution if she's a zombie? She simply would not be the same person when she returned. No one is.

Also, in Jaime prophetic weirwood dream, he remarks on how warm she is. Something he also noted when he was tied against her. Warmth is a universal sign of being alive (not dead or undead).

“Listen.” She put a hand on his shoulder, and he trembled at the sudden touch. She’s warm.

-ASOS

ETA: The dream also shows Brienne’s flaming sword continuing to burn after Jaime’s has gone out. Jaime’s life is tied to the flames of her sword.

Brienne’s sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more.

“The flames will burn so long as you live,” he heard Cersei call. “When they die, so must you.”

Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne’s burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.

-ASOS

“The northman said, “She says that you must choose. Take the sword and slay the Kingslayer, or be hanged for a betrayer. The sword or the noose, she says. Choose, she says. Choose.”

Brienne may be able to get around it anyway because Lady Stoneheart wasn't too specific in her ultimatum... "slay the kingslayer" - well isn't Brienne herself considered "a kingslayer" too because people think she killed Renly...

I could see her slaying HERSELF instead - sacrificing herself to save Jaime.

And then (based on my previous comments in this thread) getting the kiss of life (from Thoros maybe?) and being resurrected.

If Brienne sacrifices herself for Jaime, I don't see her coming back. Her death might be the final push Jaime needs to become more "white knight"

If Brienne sacrifices herself for Jaime, I don't see her coming back. Her death might be the final push Jaime needs to become more "white knight"

It's hard for me to imagine a situation in which Brienne sacrifices herself for Jaime because imo its obvious she'll champion Jaime and fight Lem Lemoncloak who she'll probably beat. It's hard to tell what happens after that though, UnCat can be pretty ruthless.

But obviously Jaime will survive Stoneheart because his storylines with Tyrion,Tommen and Cersei aren't finished yet

that being said, i still think its Arya who kill Stoneheart and not Brienne lol. I think Arya will give Stoneheart the gift of mercy, it would be a Arya's arc coming in a circle since she was so close to the Red Wedding and pulled out Catelyn's dead body while being warged as Nymeria. Arya seeing Stoneheart would probably also help her get ride of her kill list once and for all. I like the idea of Arya killing Stoneheart being one of the final aspects of her TWOW arc, it would be very satisfied even if its utterly heartbreaking.

The reason I don't believe Brienne has been or will be resurrected is because GRRM made a statement about Brienne's moral beliefs and how his world will test them. GRRM has also said that people come back as less than what they were. How can GRRM explore Brienne's moral evolution if she's a zombie? She simply would not be the same person when she returned. No one is.

That may be true - but Beric was starting to feel less of himself and he had been resurrected multiple times. Lady Stoneheart is a shell of her former self, but had been dead THREE DAYS. If Thoros gives Brienne the "kiss of life" immediately after she dies, maybe she wouldn't lose much of herself?

Also, in Jaime prophetic weirwood dream, he remarks on how warm she is. Something he also noted when he was tied against her. Warmth is a universal sign of being alive (not dead or undead).

“Listen.” She put a hand on his shoulder, and he trembled at the sudden touch. She’s warm.

-ASOS

The "warm" thing is a good point though... Not sure how she could still be warm and be resurrected...

It's hard for me to imagine a situation in which Brienne sacrifices herself for Jaime because imo its obvious she'll champion Jaime and fight Lem Lemoncloak who she'll probably beat. It's hard to tell what happens after that though, UnCat can be pretty ruthless.

But obviously Jaime will survive Stoneheart because his storylines with Tyrion,Tommen and Cersei aren't finished yet

that being said, i still think its Arya who kill Stoneheart and not Brienne lol. I think Arya will give Stoneheart the gift of mercy, it would be a Arya's arc coming in a circle since she was so close to the Red Wedding and pulled out Catelyn's dead body while being warged as Nymeria. Arya seeing Stoneheart would probably also help her get ride of her kill list once and for all. I like the idea of Arya killing Stoneheart being one of the final aspects of her TWOW arc, it would be very satisfied even if its utterly heartbreaking.

I would say Arya is a more likely candidate to end LSH than Brienne, agreed. And I also believe that Jaime's story will take him back to KL, likely after he and Brienne have consummated their love. Jaime promises that he'll come back, but first he must deal with this sister. The tragic twist, IMO, is that Jaime and Cersei die together in KL as Cersei burns the city to the ground.

I would say Arya is a more likely candidate to end LSH than Brienne, agreed. And I also believe that Jaime's story will take him back to KL, likely after he and Brienne have consummated their love. Jaime promises that he'll come back, but first he must deal with this sister. The tragic twist, IMO, is that Jaime and Cersei die together in KL as Cersei burns the city to the ground.

yep Arya was the one who pulled out Catelyn's dead body, it would be very very fitting if she gave Stoneheart the gift of mercy, it would be her arc coming full circle.

haha what happens to brienne after they bang though??

yep Arya was the one who pulled out Catelyn's dead body, it would be very very fitting if she gave Stoneheart the gift of mercy, it would be her arc coming full circle.

haha what happens to brienne after they bang though??

Well Brienne might continue looking for Sansa at that point. Even though Cat is now LSH, Brienne still wants to keep that oath. So Jaime goes to deal with his sister, and Brienne goes to look for Sansa. Tragic twist: Brienne finds Sansa and has a moment of pride that she upheld her knightly vows, only to learn that Jaime has perished in KL and she'll always wonder if she could have saved him if she had gone to KL with him

Archived