Will JonCon follow a FAegon?

Ser Charles of Rosehaven

Some people believe in the theories about FAegon. Personally I dont. However I got this doubt. If JonCon somehow discovered the Aegon he is helping is fake then would he still follow him?

I dont think so but I would like to read your opinions.

Why not?. Simple he helps aegon because he truly believes he is Rhaegar's son. As he mentions before. He does this because he feels guilty for Rhaegar's dead and he is making amends by supporting Raeghar's son to make it to the IT. "I failed to the father, I will not fail to the son" or something like that I dont have the exact quote. IMHO that clearly shows his motivation to lose his honor, his fame, and his privileges for this guy. Will he continue with the conquest with the wrong aegon?

A lot of people seem to conclude that he won't but, to be honest, I don't think that we know enough about him to draw a conclusion. Some men might think causing the downfall of those who caused Rhaegar's downfall would be enough, and would be willing to support even FAegon. We've only had two POVs from the man himself, and some impressions during the time Tyrion spent with him. Not enough to truly draw a conclusion.

Another fact to consider is Varys’ Aggravation of Aerys’ paranoia. If we learn more about the history of the rebellion, we might find details that make Varys almost as guilty for Rhaegar's fall as the Baratheons. If FAegon is little more than Varys' tool... Of course, I see no reliable way of JonCon gaining such information.

Why not?. Simple he helps aegon because he truly believes he is Rhaegar's son. As he mentions before. He does this because he feels guilty for Rhaegar's dead and he is making amends by supporting Raeghar's son to make it to the IT. "I failed to the father, I will not fail to the son" or something like that I dont have the exact quote. IMHO that clearly shows his motivation to lose his honor, his fame, and his privileges for this guy. Will he continue with the conquest with the wrong aegon?

Exactly, JonCon sees Aegon as his redemption for failing Rhaegar. Supporting Aegon and passing him off as Rhaegar's son when he knows otherwise would be an insult to the memory of the man he loved.

I don't think Connington will accept the truth until after Aegon dies. I think after Aegon dies is when the truth about his identity will be confirmed.

That of course leaves the fact aside that as long as they don't introduce magical paternity tests into the setting, it's not like there are many ways you can "prove" Aegon's ancestry to Connington either way. The gist of Varys' version is "I switched the babies before Gregor killed it". Every line of reasoning that starts with "Aegon is dead" would be countered with "duh, baby-switch". Everyone who Connington perceives as being opposed to Aegon and who claims he is fake will just be rejected as intentionally or unintentionally perpetrating the lie. Really, I'd think that either Varys or Illyrio would have to personally walk up to Jon and say "that's not Rhaegar's son" for him to even be susceptible to that possibility. And maybe even then he would discard it.

That of course leaves the fact aside that as long as they don't introduce magical paternity tests into the setting, it's not like there are many ways you can "prove" Aegon's ancestry to Connington either way. The gist of Varys' version is "I switched the babies before Gregor killed it". Every line of reasoning that starts with "Aegon is dead" would be countered with "duh, baby-switch". Everyone who Connington perceives as being opposed to Aegon and who claims he is fake will just be rejected as intentionally or unintentionally perpetrating the lie. Really, I'd think that either Varys or Illyrio would have to personally walk up to Jon and say "that's not Rhaegar's son" for him to even be susceptible to that possibility. And maybe even then he would discard it.

I agree, I think at this point with the greyscale his days are numbered and he wants and needs to believe that Aegon is Rhaegar's son and someone telling him otherwise just isn't going to be enough, I don't think he would even believe Varys or Illyrio if they tried to tell him Aegon was fake.

But we dont know the motivations that varis and ilirio have or at least not exactly. Varys wants the realm to be peaceful, Ilirio sees a business. And in some time this ideas will crash and varys will stop ilirios planning telling JonCon. Or there are some posters who mention that Doran Martell knows about FAegon. Even tyrion suspects this so it is a matter of time until aegons party meets one of this guys and JonCon knows the guy for whom he sacrificed everything he had left isn't the one he tought he was and realises he was being used all those years. And that is the why of my question. Will he think. "Well my lord Blackfyre at least you gave me a motivation and the power to return home im yours" or will he rather become angry at all those plans between varys and illirio and slay aegon or die in the attempt or just desert him.

But we dont know the motivations that varis and ilirio have or at least not exactly. Varys wants the realm to be peaceful, Ilirio sees a business. And in some time this ideas will crash and varys will stop ilirios planning telling JonCon. Or there are some posters who mention that Doran Martell knows about FAegon. Even tyrion suspects this so it is a matter of time until aegons party meets one of this guys and JonCon knows the guy for whom he sacrificed everything he had left isn't the one he tought he was and realises he was being used all those years.

But would he believe them? They would be the ones to know but I doubt he trusts them much and given his current condition it wouldn't be hard to see him getting delusional about Aegon. Thinking he is Rhaegar's son is a big deal but he has also clearly grown fond of Aegon. If there was some way for Jon Connington to be 100% I think he would simply kill himself, I don't think he could turn against a boy he helped raise because Varys and Illyrio lied to him.

I can envision a scene where Jon finds out the truth, is utterly devastated, and in his shock he separates from himself and kills (f)Aegon (non-violently, like, smothered with a pillow) before committing suicide. It would all be a reaction to his grief. A very gut wrenching scene to read.

I can envision it but I don't think it will happen.

Archived