"..as arrows of fire arched above a wooden wall and dead things shambled through the woods"

Varamyr6skins

Can I ask what texts you are looking at?

ie. pdf? edition?

It's the softcover two volume edition of ADWD, page 475.

"Snowflakes swirled from a dark sky and ashes rose to meet them, the grey and white whirling around each other as flaming arrows arced above a wooden wall and dead things shambled silent though the cold, beneath a great grey cliff where fire burned inside a hundred caves. Then the wind rose and the white mist came sweeping in, impossibly cold, and one by one the fires went out. Afterward only skulls remained."

The caves are the screaming caves where the Wildlings took shelter... :)

True, it's not precisely the same. I meant that the salient points of a wooden wall and shambling dead are there. ;)

Edit: I didn't actually check the quote until you asked -- sorry! :blushing:

Ha, no problem -- i'm just trying to figure out why there's two different versions.

Do remember that some forum members are reading these texts in different languages as well, and the translations are not always exact.

That's what I wondered if might be going on here, but perhaps cold got misremembered or misread as woods.

Sometimes my fingers type what they want to instead of what I had in mind and I suspect it's not a condition unique to just me.

Barbrey Dustin has a wooden town and keep, but I can't see how it can be connected with this particular vision. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

True, but ADWD-32 doesn't indicate a lot of woods nearby ("Reek could hear the wind sweeping across the rolling plains beyond the town", "A few had even been known to say it [Great Barrow] was a lonely hill, for most of the barrowlands were flat and windswept").

Yes Rhaegar's Lover, that's one of my (2) theories. It makes a lot more sense than Alys Karstark, as it's a play on the name and also at this point in the book she is going to be given to the fires. Which would explain the last part of the vision - "even as I watched she crumbled and blew away" it does make a lot of sense. However I still also think it could be a warning of grey plague outbreak. A bit like the "pale mare" vision which foretold of the plague of Astapor/Meereen.

the grey and the white whirling around each other as flaming arrows arced above a wooden wall

The grey and white reminds me of a dance. Maybe a second dance of dragons?

My first thought was about how gray/white are the House Stark colors... Not sure how it would fit in with the rest though.

Archived