German and/or Scandinavian fantasy

For_The_Good_Of_The_Realm

Almost every genre lit from german authors is better than german fantasy. As sad as it is... I blame the U and E-literature crazyness.

Don´t feel bad how should you know?

Kackertratten: Yeah these are exactly the ones and you got them. I think they are a display of contempt for doves. Doves are sky rats after all, because they s*** everywhere. I´m calling them Kackertratten all the time ;). (Well I hate them bastards so this one rang a bell with me ;).)

When we are at admiring the anagrams:

Manu Kantimel the founder of Gralsunder Dämonologie.

The central question of this science is: How many Teufelselfen (devil elves?) can you place on a needle pike.

It´s of course the great Immanuel Kant. And the question plus answers are quite clever: It is believed, these creatures aren´t measurable at all and it´s not even clear, if they exist. Nevertheless the zamomin found a (slightly wrong) answer to the question through thinking. But Bluebear knows due to scientific methods, that they actually do exist. He even gives an exact scientific solution to it.

Now now, we agreed that Moers is a very good author and we also agree he writes fantasy. ;) And Michael Ende has beautiful stories too. So there are some gems. I mean, compared to Slovene fantasy ... :leaving:

I know, it is just weird.

Never got the connection to pigeons, for me they were just flying evil rats. :P

Ha, I do not remember that name ever mentioned (is it from 13 1/2?), but this is great.

So what I get from those posts, I should not be reading a book titled Der kleine Arschloch? (I did not mean to either.)

These are comic books so you are not likely to mistake them for another of Moers' Zamonien books.

At their time they probably were among the most scatalogical, nihilist, blasphemic stuff imaginable and that was basically the main point; they made fun of everything in a cynical and often disgusting fashion. Accordingly they were popular among high school and college students deeming themselves too smart to recognize any bounds of bad taste (because this would have meant buckling to some authority). One would also hardly guess that the pictures in Moers' Zamonien books and those comic panels were drawn by the same artist.

Now now, we agreed that Moers is a very good author and we also agree he writes fantasy. ;) And Michael Ende has beautiful stories too. So there are some gems. I mean, compared to Slovene fantasy ... :leaving:

I know, it is just weird.

Never got the connection to pigeons, for me they were just flying evil rats. :P Isn´t that the definition of doves? :lol:

Ha, I do not remember that name ever mentioned (is it from 13 1/2?), but this is great. It is. I put it in spoiler tags, because it´s from the "showdown between the big villain and blue bear".

To the quality of the fantasy genre in german:

So two good fantasy authors in german?

The slovenian book market isn´t the third biggest in the world, is it? I would say it does rather well in comparison ;). As does every book market...

But I´m not letting my native language sink without a fight. So hereby I resolve to the proud tradition of forging statistics.

I claim Felidae as a fantasy book. It has talking cats, fanatics of an ancient cult, an evil army waiting for day X, mad scientists, a villain trying to take over and prophetic dreams after all. It even comes with it´s own comic-film :lol: .

So now we are 50% better than we were before. :rofl:

(I know. The author is a right-wing-crazy-pants. But I liked Felidae very much and you will agree: the situation is desperate.)

Jo498 is right. Many teens actually thought they could show how libertine (translate: smartass) they are by liking it... A bit like this generation had found it´s own Loriot. I got introduced to it by someone who was a few years older than me. I guess he thought I would be impressed with his intellect... At the time I was actually in my rebellious phase and disliked Loriot out of principle. I was sick of the intellectual snobbery from Loriot-fans. I now actually love his work. But am still reluctant in admitting it ;).

I like some humor in very bad taste (e.g. some to the Titanic's) but "Das kleine Arschloch" is extremely unsubtle and I disliked the drawings from the beginning.

Loriot is a really great and subtle humorist but for me sometimes a little too "bourgeois".

I read Felidae 20? years ago, not long after it came out. Not sure whether to count this as fantasy. It's quite good (but also not anything I ever had an inclination to re-read).

I had not heard of Marzi before, I wonder if someone else here read his stuff (seems similar to Gaiman with a secret/magic city underneath/parallel to a modern one).

As I apparently have not done so in this thread I will now add my plug for the Jewish/Austrian Leo Perutz who wrote a bunch of (mostly historical) novels with phantastic elements in the 1910s-40s, the most famous ones probably "Der Meister des jüngsten Tages" (The master of the day of judgement) and "Der Schwedische Reiter" (The Swedish Cavalier)

Again, this is not at all standard fantasy but might appeal to some readers.

And there is always the question of translation, good books is not always translated. If you can read swedish I would recomend you to check out Erik Granström and Anders Björkelid.

Good recommendations.

But there are so many more Swedish authors out there (or, rather, authors writing in Swedish).

For instance:

• Maria Turtschaninoff ("Anaché", "Maresi", etc.)

Nene Ormes ("Udda verklighet" and "Särskild")

Mats Strandberg & Sara Bergmark Elfgren ("Cirkeln", "Eld", and "Nyckeln"; the entire trilogy is actually translated into, say, German and English)

Anna Blixt ("Fredens pris" and "Rämnfödd")

Johanne Hildebrandt ("Saga från Valhalla", etc.)

Karolina Bjällerstedt Mickos ("Mantor", "Larona", "Dorei", etc.)

Caroline L. Jensen ("Vargsläkte", "Demonologi för nybörjare", etc.)

Marcus Olausson ("De rotlösa" and "Bäraren")

Stefan Hagel ("Fred så gyllene" and "Flammor av vrede")

And in the science fiction-genre you can find Karin Tidbeck and her amazing works "Jagannath", and "Amatka".

Okay, I do not like comics much and I am sure I will not be reading that Arschloch thingy now. :P I do not like scatological humor.

To the quality of the fantasy genre in german:

So two good fantasy authors in german?

The slovenian book market isn´t the third biggest in the world, is it? I would say it does rather well in comparison ;). As does every book market..

Nah, it is not, but I would not say it does well in comparison either, as I do not know of any authors I would recommend. I read one book, I think it was a YA, but it was not that good. :dunno: I should probably reseach it some more.

Archived