Stark Lineage

We had the Stark family tree up to Lord Benjen Stark who is likely the son/grandson of Lord Ellard Stark who was the Lord of Winterfell during Jaehaerys and Alysanne's visit and also during the Great Council of 101. I did not see any Stark-Bolton marriage, but one of Cregan's four daughter with Alysanne Blackwood could have married a Bolton. Many marriages with "smaller" of ancient lineages such as the Lockes, Glovers, Flints....

It seems to me that the Lords of Winterfell priviledged marrying First Men Houses (with the exception of Manderlys) and from the North (with the exception of Blackwoods and Royces).

Barthogan "Blacksword" was the Stark that died during the Skagosi rebellion.

Donnor Stark that is listed as having a a statue in the crypts, was not a Lord. Same thing with Rodwell, listed as a Lord by Bran in ACOK.

The succession after Cregan was a bit messy. Edric Stark was the second child from his third marriage (to Lynara Stark) but he (and his children) seems to have been skipped in the succession, in favour of Barthogan and Brandon. Edric was married to the eldest (Sansa) of the two daughters of his half-brother (Rickon Stark) yet, they were apparently excluded. I'm sure we will learn more about this, during the next Dunk and Egg novella.

Otherwise, I found the information about the North's history a bit underwhelming.

I think they value the blood of First Men first and foremost (Blackwoods & Royces are of such kind, regardless where they come from - of course it is good to be from the neighbouring lands). Prestige over material factors, I think.

When Robb married the Westerling girl, the fact that they claim descent from the First Men was the first thing Robb said to Cat.

Underwhelmed by the quality of quality?

It seems to me that the Lords of Winterfell priviledged marrying First Men Houses (with the exception of Manderlys) and from the North (with the exception of Blackwoods and Royces).

The Manderlys apparently descend from the First Men as well.. They have named the River Mander after themselves and were among the most powerful lords of the Reach.. A certain Lord Manderly married the daughter of King Garth X known as Garth Greybeard who had no sons to name is heir and thus when he died, the Manderlys, in contest with the Peakes attempted to take the Gardener throne and the Reach.. King Perceon III Gardener later ordered Lord Lorimar Peake to drive the Manderlys into exile as the king feared their growing power.. The Manderlys were apparently already great lords in the Reach during the reign of when the Hightowers were still petty kings (the Hightowers wwere the last of the petty kings to bend the knee to the Gardeners).. King Garth III Gardener "The Great" married the daughter of King Lymond of The High Tower thus taking Oldtown to his realm, and it was his grandson King Gwayne III Gardener "The Fat" who persuaded Lord Manderly to do fealty to him along with Lord Peake.. King Gwayne IV Gardener "The God-fearing" ruled the Reach when the Andals started their invasion of Westeros..

Archived