The reason behind House Manderly's exile was...

... simply because King Perceon III Gardener feared the growing wealth and power of House Manderly in the Reach so he ordered Lord Lorimar Peake to drive the Manderlys into exile..

We now know that the Manderlys are blood of the First Men as well.. They are an ancient family who named the greatest river in the realm after themselves.. We learned that the Peakes of Starkpike are their bitter foes, whom they once had a rivalry for the Gardener throne which divided the lords of the Reach..

It got me thinking, why would the Gardener king exile the Manderlys just due to fear of their swelling power.. I know they once tried to claim the Gardener throne before because Lord Manderly married a Gardener princess, but during those times, there were no hints of rebellion from the Manderlys..

Do you think there might have been another reason why the Gardener king had the Manderlys exiled rather than simple fear of their growing power?

... simply because King Perceon III Gardener feared the growing wealth and power of House Manderly in the Reach so he ordered Lord Lorimar Peake to drive the Manderlys into exile..

There must be more to it than that, otherwise why give the Manderlys land to the Peakes, thus doubling the Peakes already considerable power.

We know that during the reign of Garth Greybeard the Peakes and Manderlys were the biggest disruption to peace in the Reach and that Gwayne the Fat persuaded them to stop fighting. The Peakes and Manderlys clearly had a long running grudge.

I imagine that during the regency years of Aegon III it the same again with Manderly vs Peake and I bet we find out that the Manderlys fought for Maeker against the Peakes in the Blackfyre Rebellion.

There must be more to it than that, otherwise why give the Manderlys land to the Peakes, thus doubling the Peakes already considerable power.

We know that during the reign of Garth Greybeard the Peakes and Manderlys were the biggest disruption to peace in the Reach and that Gwayne the Fat persuaded them to stop fighting. The Peakes and Manderlys clearly had a long running grudge.

I imagine that during the regency years of Aegon III it the same again with Manderly vs Peake and I bet we find out that the Manderlys fought for Maeker against the Peakes in the Blackfyre Rebellion.

true.. and if iirc, the Peakes sided with the Greens and King Aegon II during TDoTD while the Manderlys were staunch supporters of the Blacks and Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen..

The Peakes and Manderlys clearly had a long running grudge.

True.. They are just like the Blackwoods and Brackens.. Oddly enough, the Peakes later on lost much of their power and holdings while the Manderlys though exiled, flourished in the North, becoming the most powerful noble house in the region.. The Peakes also also intermarried with House Lannister, while the Manderlys intermarried with the Starks.. :cool4:

So the Peakes of Starpike were gifted Dunstonbury (the Manderlys seat) when the exiled them.
The Peakes also have Whitegrove as another of their seats (reminds me of Goldengrove) so I do wonder who had Whitegrove before.
The Peakes lost Dunstonbury and Whitegrove, so who holds it now?

I imagine they also gained Whitegrove from the Whitehills, if the Whitehills fled north with the Manderlys. We know the Whitehills follow the 7 so it checks out.

I thought this had to do with the conflict about succession where both Manderlys and Peakes had a Gardener wife each. It would appear that each was overturned eventually, but the meddling would not have been appreciated and it might be that the Manderlys just got the worse end of the stick compared to Peakes. Both were certainly cut down to size as it seems obvious House Peake does not command the respect and influence it used to, either, so perhaps the Manderlys merely went a different route and chose to relocate entirely while keeping the core of their strength intact.

Archived