[TWOIAF Spoilers] "Dinosaurs" in asoiaf/woiaf

Waters Gate

I was wondering if some of the creature's being decribed in woiaf are akin to dinosaurs and what people think about that.

Also, this is the kind of thread where you'd want a paleontologist. i'm not sure what exactly constitue's a dinosaur really, i know they came in various periods with varying climate trough ages. On our world we still have a few dino's runnign around i guess too in the form of comodo varan's or crocodille's maybe.

In Asoiaf, there are certain species of animals left that today have long been extinct. The mommoth stands out as one of the most obvious example's. I'm not sure to what extend mammoths are to be considered dinosaurs though. I know they were typical for later age's where you had certain otehr dino's like sabre tooth tigers and the likes, well less reptilians i guess.

Dragons are somewhat akin to classical dino's. they seem to be mostly reptilian atleast. they have some of the feature's of a pterodactylus i guess, but then somewhat bigger and more potent.

When reading about the creature's to be found in Sotherys, lest to say aabout the general enviroment, i had this kind of feeling like it was dinosaur heaven around there. And for what regards decription of many animals there, they did seem rather dino like too.

1. Crocs are not dinosaurs. Birds are. A dinosaur is basically any animal descended from the common ancestor between the house sparrow and Triceratops.

2. Mammoths and Sabor-tooth tigers are not dinosaurs, they are mammals and lived millions of years after the last non-avian dinosaur went extinct.

3. Pterodactyls are not dinosaurs. They are not descended from the common ancestor between the house sparrow and Triceratops.

4. Yes, there are apparently dromaeosaurids in Sothoryos. However, they are Jurassic Park dromaeosaurids (no feathers), not actual raptors, which looked like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dromaeosauridae#mediaviewer/File:Velociraptor_dinoguy2.jpg

Stannis lawyer.

Surely you are stretching it to try and say that any dinosaur without feathers is not a true dinosaur.

I am not up to date with the latest theories with regard to the neverending debate about the crossing point between dinosaurs and birds, but surely you are not suggesting that everything from a T-Rex to Argentinosaurus (a sauropod whose name I obviously cannot spell), were covered in feathers?

Stannis lawyer.

Surely you are stretching it to try and say that any dinosaur without feathers is not a true dinosaur.

I am not up to date with the latest theories with regard to the neverending debate about the crossing point between dinosaurs and birds, but surely you are not suggesting that everything from a T-Rex to Argentinosaurus (a sauropod whose name I obviously cannot spell), were covered in feathers?

And I said that...when? I said that dromaeosaurids had feathers (which is now confirmed unlike in 1996 when GRRM wrote AGOT), not that all dinosaurs had.

ETA: Also, I believe T-Rex had feathers. Sauropods obviously did not.

The tattoed lizards of sothoryos sound like velociraptors to me. I would say Sothoryos is more a heaven for gigantic reptiles in general (crocodiles, monstruous serpents, basilisks, tattoed lizards, wyverns)

The Sothoryosi lizards are what people in 1996 (when AGOT was released) thought velociraptors would have looked like. They actually had feathers meaning that they would have looked more avian.

Iirc, the dinosaur clarification had to do with the structure of the hip bones. But the tattooed lizard description sure sounds like someone elliptically describing Jurassic park velociraptors. Somehow Nymeria's colony being beset by 4' tall chickens with teeth and claws didn't sound as fearsome.

As I know, theories say that most therpods ( two-legged carnivores had feathers, others ssay that of the big ones just the young had them.

The proof that some dinosaurs were feathered is quite new. Most likely at least most of the dromeosaurids were feathered (which would mean that most likely Velociraptors were feathered, not that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are Velociraptors anyways. They are waay too big to be Velociraptors.

Stannis lawyer.

Actually yes, based on the latest evidence, tech, and info it seems more and more likely that most Dinosaurs probably had feathers to varying degrees, even T-Rex

Actually yes, based on the latest evidence, tech, and info it seems more and more likely that most Dinosaurs probably had feathers to varying degrees, even T-Rex

What? You surely mean only "most theropods" (which is still disputable)? Because if most dinosaurs had feathers that means Ornithischians also had feathers, which I have never heard of before.

What? You surely mean only "most theropods" (which is still disputable)? Because if most dinosaurs had feathers that means Ornithischians also had feathers, which I have never heard of before.

Definitely, out of the three branches, 1.) All Theropods seem to have feathers, 2.) Sauropodmorphs, which are the closests related to theropods

3.) Orsnithischians, and based on the latest findings tehy are starting to believe more and more Orsnithischians had feathers. Doesn't mean they were covered head to toe in feathers, but it seems like most did, even if at the very least it was sort of like filamets or different types of feathers/fuzz. In fact, the ones that seem most likely to not have feathers at this point are the Sauorpodmorphs. But even thatis changing now, though I dont have any info on their division at the moment.

But like you said, all of it is disputable

Archived