Robb's War

24adrew

thelittledragonthatcould,

Nowhere it's said that the Karstark foot participated in the Red Wedding, and I doubt very much that they did.

Chapter 49 ASOS. Cat and Robb have arrived at the Twins, they are sitting in the Great hall and are joined by Roose.

"How many men have you brought my son?" she asked Roose Bolton pointedly.

His queer colorless eyes studied her face a moment before he answered. "Some five hundred horse and three thousand foot, my lady. Dreadfort men, in chief, and some from Karhold. With the loyalty of the Karstarks so doubtful now, I thought it best to keep them close. I regret there are not more."

There was definitely Karstark men with Roose at the Twins and those said men returned with Roose to the North.

There is actually a fantastic bit of foreshadowing by Robb before he makes his decision to execute Rickard in Cat chapter 20

"Lord Rickard defied me. Betrayed me. I have no choice but to condemn him. Gods know what the Karstark foot with Roose Bolton will do when they hear I've executed their liege for a traitor. Bolton must be warned."

Of course it was. The Karstark foot which was with Roose participated in the Red Wedding. I doubt they would have done that if Robb didn't execute their liege lord. Robb is actually worried for the safety of Roose because of his decision.

I don't think so. Stannis takes over the Karstark men after taking out his own Karstark traitors and the Tyrells takes command of both the Stormland and Reach foot after Renly is dead, and Roose brings them along under the impression that he has taken command of them.

And I really, really, don't think that the Karstark foot had any important impact on the outcome of the Red Wedding. It would have gone the same way with the Karstarks taken out of the scenario or among the corpses (in other words, with Robb).

I don't think so. Stannis takes over the Karstark men after taking out his own Karstark traitors and the Tyrells takes command of both the Stormland and Reach foot after Renly is dead, and Roose brings them along under the impression that he has taken command of them.

And I really, really, don't think that the Karstark foot had any important impact on the outcome of the Red Wedding. It would have gone the same way with the Karstarks taken out of the scenario or among the corpses (in other words, with Robb).

We actually don't know, unless I've missed another chapter, what happens to Arnolf in Winds of Winter or if the Karstarks soldiers with him will remain with Stannis if he kills Arnolf.

Obviously, while not a huge impact, Roose knowing that he had some supporters would make him more confident of beating Robb and being able to return North and not have every one against him.

We actually don't know, unless I've missed another chapter, what happens to Arnolf in Winds of Winter or if the Karstarks soldiers with him will remain with Stannis if he kills Arnolf.

WOW Spoiler

Isn't this taken up in one of the spoiler chapters to WoW? That's what I was refering to, forgive me for spoiling and not being clear. Anyway as far as I looks to me it looks like someone new will take control over the Karstark soldiers, and that will be the lords who happen to be present.

WOW Spoiler

Isn't this taken up in one of the spoiler chapters to WoW? That's what I was refering to, forgive me for spoiling and not being clear. Anyway as far as I looks to me it looks like someone new will take control over the Karstark soldiers, and that will be the lords who happen to be present.

No, I've got that. Arnolf is still alive at the end of that chapter. He has not yet dealt with them in the Theon chapter so we have no idea how the Karstark soldiers react to this.

If they are anything like the Karstark men with Robb they are not going to be happy and follow Stannis once he has executed Arnolf and his sons.

Archived