GRRM 12 Days of Westeros on Twitter, v.2

Still going strong I see, I was sleeping but I was sleeping aboard hype train #ChooChoo

Do you think it's coincidence he tried to kill the hype the same day he put on the image "What is dead may never die", he is killing hype to bring it back again stronger

Imagine that it is the book release announcement:

Meeting at Publisher:

GRRM: Book is done

Publisher: Cool, let's promote it and create huge marketing attention!

GRRM: it's almost winter, let's use winter!

Publisher: what about 12 days countdown

GRRM: Sounds good, I can deliver lines with clues that won't reveal too much but will let them speculate

Publisher: We will hire a company that creates 12 nice images to go with your lines!

GRRM: And then we announce it on the 12th day!

Publisher: And keep it a secret till then!

GRRM: What if they ask me about it?

Publisher: Just play dumb and keep it somewhere in the middle

GRRM: I'll just joke something about those oxymoron internet journalists that have been writing 'news articles' about me every day.

Publisher: Good one, make sure that your Linda and Ran keep their mouth shut as well!

GRRM: Sure, no problem.

Or the Alternative:

Publisher: We're going to announce a 15% reduction on all your books on the 12th

GRRM: Very cool! Let's create a hype first

Publisher: Yes, hypes work best if we have a path to follow

GRRM: 12 days of christmas but then Westerosi style!

Publisher: Good, you create cool lines, we spend a lot of money on images that go along with them!

GRRM: Let's make the announcement on the longest night when winter has come, that'll teach them!

Publisher: But no announcements before it's the 12th day!

GRRM: I'll tell Linda and Ran to kill all hype before it's start, because when we do a 12 days thing we do not want to have any hype start!

Publisher: Good, and what if the hype starts anyway, will you then kill it?

GRRM: If they ask me about it I'll immediately tell them it's silly to expect anything big.

Publisher: That'll do.

In short, what's more likely:

A. They build up hype and when asked about it they cryptically avoid to answer the question.

B. They build up hype for nothing and destroy every hype after 2 days already to be sure.

Of course it's A.

The only reason that people do not expect TWOW announcement is b/c they were disappointed in the past.

There's not any factual reason to not expect any TWOW announcement.

In favour:

1. there's the publisher created hype, bigger then any ASOIAF hype before

2. GRRM said before he had no writer's block or 5 years gap rewrite or meereen knot alike issues

3. It's been 3 years, all other books were finished in 3 years

4. HBO is pushing him, everybody is pushing him

5. he's famous and everything he hoped for is there, if he finishes his story he'll be the 2nd biggest phantasy writer ever after Tolkien

6. he's wrapping up the story, always easier then the middle part

7. Announcement made on the longest night when winter has finally came: The Winds of Winter

8. GRRM earlier said that he would not visit the HBO sets b/c writing on TWOW but hoped to visit the sets in early 2015

against:

1. ADOD came later then originally expected

3. I haven't been around as long as some of the other fans, but I got the impression that his first three books each had a two year publishing gap, and then the next two had about five years or so. Where are you getting three years from?

Why can it not be option B?

*at the station, watching the trains go by, and wondering whether to board or not*

3. I haven't been around as long as some of the other fans, but I got the impression that his first three books each had a two year publishing gap, and then the next two had about five years or so. Where are you getting three years from?

Why can it not be option B?

*at the station, watching the trains go by, and wondering whether to board or not*

3 years as just an unscientific average.

Well, of course it can be option B. You never know for sure untill Dec 21st.

But why would they set up such a huge hype-train only to end it on the 2nd day and to let it lead to something not so important?

Imagine that in 2 years TWOW is really finished and they do want to setup a hype train, then nobody will believe them anymore b/c they disappointed us too much this time. It would be very very very unprofessional to not setup this hype train if you do not want to get it somewhere special.

Why the hype-train? Because news like this must reach every journalist in the world, and by a 12 days step by step approach you slowly get everybody on the bandwagon. It's the perfect way to give the real announcement full spotlight as soon as you make it.

Right now everybody will be waiting for it.

Archived