Average height in Westeros?

Real Jaime

1) Most girls develop their adult bodies quite early and their growth usually slows, or right out stops after their first period, early to mid-teens. So Sansa looking womanly at 13 is perfectly normal and means little about her height. She might already have reached close to her full height potential. iirc Lysa's clothes don't fit her, because Lysa became quite chubby in her adult years.

No. Sansa was trying to wear Lysa's clothes from the time Lysa was 21, and she explicitly notes that the clothes don't fit her because she's taller at 13 than Lysa was at 21.

Girls don't stop growing once they have their first period. It would be pretty bad if it stopped, since most girls get their first periods around 12 years old (I was 11 years 8 months old when I got mine). Getting your first period doesn't mean your reproductive system has fully developed, far from that. Girls usually stop growing around 14-15, and that's a couple of years after their first period.

Exactly. Stature (and overall health) was greater before agriculture in the Neolithic Revolution due to the greater variety and nutritional content of hunter-gatherer diets. Agriculture produced greater surpluses but less variety. It also lead to sedentism, population growth, and increased territorialism. :)

That is true, though these Scandinavian examples were from well after the Neolithic revolution. But they would have lived off fish and meat and dairy products to a greater degree than people from more modern times, who would have gotten a lot more of their calories from grains (and eventually potatoes). So the reason for the height difference is probably similar to that of hunter-gatherer peoples.

Westerosi common people are probably closer to the grain side, diet wise. Wildlings and Ironborn and perhaps also Northmen excepted, I guess. Their society also seems to be integrated enough with trade and so on that diseases could spread pretty easily. So all in all they are probably a bit shorter than modern people.

Archived