Crackpot: what odds Aerys legitimized Rhaegar's bastard newborn?

Ser Uncle P

Sorry if this post belongs in the R+l=J pinned thread. Basically I Dont think R+L were married, but it doesn't affect Jon's claim one iota.

The last polygamous Targ marriage we know of was Baelor the Blessed, the last consumunated one was way back in Maegor the cruel's era .IMO its a little convoluted to use them as precedents. OTOH we have much more frequent and recent examples of Bastards being legimitized and even becoming heirs of houses (Alyn Velaryon, Daemon Blackfyre, Ramsey, Stannis' offer to Jon)

Rather than trying to argue that Rhaegar clandestinely married Lyanna, I suggest that as soon as a raven was sent with news of Rhaegar's death, Aerys dispatched a decree to the TOJ telling them if his decision to legitimize the bastard.

We know that Aerys distrusted the Dornish, perhaps in his madness he blamed Lewin Martell for the Royalist loss at the Trident, and legimitizing Jon was his parallel with Aegon IV, while sidestepping his own half Dornish grandchildren.

It would add an interesting twist to the Dance 2.0 if Jon is another Bloodraven or Daemon Blackfyre. Thoughts...

I think Rhaegar and Lyanna were hiding from both sides of the conflict, so not just Robert's side but also Aerys'. It's also pretty clear that Aerys had no idea where Rhaegar was, or else he wouldn't have had to send Hightower to find him. So in order to buy this theory, you'd have to think that 1. Aerys knew that Rhaegar and Lyanna were at the Tower of Joy, that 2. the place was on the "raven map," and that 3. Aerys knew Lyanna was pregnant. I also find it bizarre to think that Aerys would pass over Aegon because of him being Dornish, but not pass over Jon when it's Jon's mother's family who's actually rebelling against Aerys.

I tend to think Aerys was already dead by the time Jon was born, and Aerys had no idea he even existed, on top of the points I listed above. So no, can't say I find "Aerys legitimized Jon" to be all that compelling.

As for the polygamy thing, you just have to look at the SSM where Martin is asked about it. He says that it's possible there were later incidences of it, and leaves it at that. At worst he leaves it open-ended, and that's really all the polygamy proponents need to keep the idea open. It was a very straightforward question, and all he had to say was, "No, after Maegor there were no other instances of polygamy." But he didn't, which is odd if polygamy actually had no further role to play.

(And Baelor the Blessed, despite locking up all three sisters, was only actually married to Daena.)

Archived