King/Queens...Guard

Finley

Anyone else just looking to kill some time waiting for WoW...

If you were king/queen in the current phase of the novel who would you choose as your seven (kings/queens...guard)? Explanations optional.

1. Barriston Selmy (Lord Commander) - The guy doesn't need an explanation and he doesn't seem to age

2. Areo Hotah (made short work of a former Kingsguard member without breaking a sweat)

3. Victarian Greyjoy (Is there a bigger bad ass in the series?)

4. Jon Connington (maybe a little on the old side and more than his hair is turning gray, but still one bad mother with a mind for this sort of thing)

5. Brienne of Tarth (A real knight - who wouldn't want another Dunk)

6. Mance (The guy owned Jon Snow in the yard, but would need him to buy into keeping an oath)

7. Bronn (The guy bested one of the Vale's best knights without armor and has the street-smart side of things down - also not the most honorable to anyone other than money)

Not sure if this topic has already been covered...my bad if it has.

An open discussion on this topic at any point in ASOIAF regardless of date would be interesting as well.

The only ones I’d trust out of this lot would be Areo Hotah, Jon Con and Brienne. The rest are only in it for themselves.

I’d go for:

1. Sandor Clegane - the ultimate mofo

2. Brienne - faithful and true

3. Blackfish - strategically minded

4. Khal Drogo - can call upon a horde of Dothraki

5. Bran Stark - has magical powers

6. Stannis - the ultimate in trustworthiness

7. Ned Stark - even dead, Ned Stark is the greatest.

Funny enough, I'd have Jamie pre-hand and the knight of flowers (best swordsman and also serves as a hostage from two powerful families).

Sandor seems like one of the best soldiers plus is truly loyal.

Barristan

I'd like someone like Robb since he has a direwolf, plus has a great mind for war and sometimes will be needed to fight and lead.

the red viper (although I'd have to open the rules about chastity, since he is always getting down)

and finally, I like your idea of Stannis, he would never betray you and would be honorable to the last.

Hmm.

Lord Commander: Ser Brynden Blackfish (Riverlands) 'His homosexuality and the fact that he is not in the direct line of succession for river run make him ideally suited)

Kings Guard: Ser Lyle Crakehall 'the Strongboar' ( from the Westerlands)

Kings Guard: Young Barristan (SL)

Kings Guard: The GreatJon from the North

Kings Guard: Areao Hotah from Dorne(ish)

Kings Guard: Ser Garlan Tyrell very good swordsman and loyal and not a firstborn son (reach)

Kings Guard :Ser Robar Royce very good swordsman and loyal and not a firstborn son ( the Vale)

I wouldn't trust my life to someone from the Iron islands unfortunately

If I had another spot to fill I'd put in Anguy the Archer.

I’d like to redo the list:

1. Sandor Clegane - obvious choice of loyalty, deadliness and not a sociopath like his brother

2. Blackfish - I didn’t realise he was gay, what are the signs of that in the books?

3. Arya Stark - you always need an assassin in the mix

4. Old Bear Mormont - dedicated, moral, compassionate. My choice as Lord Commander

5. Bran Stark - For the Weirnet connection

6. Jon Snow - he knows nothing now, but he’s a fast learner

7. Littlefinger - If I can promise him Cat, I think he’ll be loyal. Even unCat would tempt him.

I think a Kingsguard like that would be pretty amazing. You’d have Bran Stark scouting the kingdom for trouble. You’d have Arya ready to kill anyone before they became a problem. You’d have Littlefinger to exploit all weaknesses in my enemies, and Blackfish and Mormont to keep Littlefinger in check. You’d have Sandor Clegane as a personal bodyguard in case anything happened. And you’d have Jon Snow around as a successor to Mormont as Lord Commander.

Archived