Favorite disproved Theory

serdog

• 2 weeks later...

The theory that the High Sparrow can't be Howland Reed because the actor that plays him in the nearly-non-canon TV show is six-feet-tall. When Cersei meets the High Sparrow in AFFC, he is "shorter than the queen by several inches and thin as a broom handle." I guess Lena Headey is "several inches" taller than the 6-foot tall actor that plays the High Sparrow. I guess I never noticed that before.

Then again, it wouldnt' be the first time the physical appearance of a character from the books was drastically changed when introduced in the show... Anybody remember how they felt when they first saw Missandei(definitely not 10), Osha(way less crone-ish than I thought she would be), Dagmer Cleftjaw (His name is Cleftjaw. You saying they couldn't pull that off?), Illyrio (that dude is NOT three seats wide), Talisa (she is not...oh wait, no Talisa in the books). My point being, just because they cast an actor that seems to discredit the physical appearance of a character from the books, does not necessarily make it so.

The problem with threads like this is that, with the series unfinished, there is very little that has been truly disproven.

Even Coldhands = Benjen is not truly disproven. I don't believe he is Coldhands, but that is mainly because I never believed it in the first place.

But imagine, for the sake of argument, that Benjen is revealed to be Coldhands in some future volume. Will you be able to claim that GRRM has lied to you? No you will not. You will not even be able to claim that he is guilty of misleading his editor, because you have no idea what conversations they had privately.

You will be forced to admit you allowed yourself to be misled by peeking at a document that was not addressed to you.

And if Jenye turns out to be preggers with Robb's child, and switched places with her younger sister, will you be able to claim that George lied to you about that? Do internet rumours about some foreign edition you have not seen really take precedence over the text in front of you?

Even Coldhands = Benjen is not truly disproven. I don't believe he is Coldhands, but that is mainly because I never believed it in the first place.

But imagine, for the sake of argument, that Benjen is revealed to be Coldhands in some future volume. Will you be able to claim that GRRM has lied to you? No you will not. You will not even be able to claim that he is guilty of misleading his editor, because you have no idea what conversations they had privately.

i said it in another thread but ill repeat it. i think coldhands being benjen is not disproven the editor asks "is this benjen? i think is benjen : ) does bran knows is benjen?" and GRRM answers "no" but i think he is answering the second question and not the first.

edit: again i dont believed he is but is not disproven

i said it in another thread but ill repeat it. i think coldhands being benjen is not disproven the editor asks "is this benjen? i think is benjen : ) does bran knows is benjen?" and GRRM answers "no" but i think he is answering the second question and not the first.

Excellent point.

On another note, has anyone actually seen this foreign translation that removes the reference to Jeyne's hips? Does anyone even know what language it is written in, or can give a publication date? Can anyone prove GRRM did not FIRST send the text to translators (who need, for obvious reasons, to receive it in advance) and then make some last-minute edits, ADDING the narrow hips clue, to the text of the US edition?

edit: again i dont believed he is but is not disproven

I think the location of the NO suggests that he is answering the first question as the NO is in proximity to that question as opposed to the last question being farther down the paper with plenty of room to write a NO near there if that was the question answered.

I think the location of the NO suggests that he is answering the first question as the NO is in proximity to that question as opposed to the last question being farther down the paper with plenty of room to write a NO near there if that was the question answered.

Perfectly arguable, and possibly correct. But we are no longer dealing with anything hat can be claimed as a certainty.

Archived