Culmination at Starfall?

rozemarijn

Barristan is the one telling Dany about her family in the next book. He loved Ashara therefore his recounting of Aerys' madness and the rebellion will end with Ashara's death at Starfall, rather than say with Robert being crowned. Dany doesn't have to have anything to do with Starfall or go their. Barristan's musings on the Harrenhal tourney and the Targs in ADWD is a taster for the kind of thing he will reveal in the next book.

This is a legit point.

As tantalizing as it is to imagine scenarios where Ashara could be Dany's mom, there is another important thing to remember. When Jorah is speaking with Dany in Book 1, he says she reminds him of Lynesse Hightower, his ex-wife.

I don't think we know much about how Hightowers look, except that Lynesse was blonde and beautiful. Hightower and Starfall are not that far from each other, so maybe the houses have similar looks. Maybe Dany looks like both Lynesse and Ashara because the two of them looked similar. (Ashara had dark hair, but maybe they had the same eyes or face shape or something--actually I don't think we know Lynesse's eye color. Hmmm...lol.)

OR maybe this says more about Jorah and Ser Barristan than it does about Dany. Maybe the fact that she reminds them of lost loves simply indicates that they have feelings for her (Barristan keeping his well in check, Jorah less so) yet deep down Barristan knows he can no more be with Dany than with Ashara and Jorah knows he would never be able to keep Dany happy, much like he wasn't able to keep Lynesse happy.

(But even if that's true I still think SOMETHING is up with Starfall & the Daynes and some secret from Dany's past lies in Dorne.)

This is a legit point.

As tantalizing as it is to imagine scenarios where Ashara could be Dany's mom, there is another important thing to remember. When Jorah is speaking with Dany in Book 1, he says she reminds him of Lynesse Hightower, his ex-wife.

I don't think we know much about how Hightowers look, except that Lynesse was blonde and beautiful. Hightower and Starfall are not that far from each other, so maybe the houses have similar looks. Maybe Dany looks like both Lynesse and Ashara because the two of them looked similar. (Ashara had dark hair, but maybe they had the same eyes or face shape or something--actually I don't think we know Lynesse's eye color. Hmmm...lol.)

OR maybe this says more about Jorah and Ser Barristan than it does about Dany. Maybe the fact that she reminds them of lost loves simply indicates that they have feelings for her (Barristan keeping his well in check, Jorah less so) yet deep down Barristan knows he can no more be with Dany than with Ashara and Jorah knows he would never be able to keep Dany happy, much like he wasn't able to keep Lynesse happy.

(But even if that's true I still think SOMETHING is up with Starfall & the Daynes and some secret from Dany's past lies in Dorne.)

I think your second answer is probably it. They are both older men who have had an unlucky love affair with a pretty young girl. Especially Barristan is just ... Projecting his wishes/ memories upon Dany.

Most lovers will find resemnlances of their beloved ones like - everywhere.

Edi: the Daynes are supposed to be first men are they not? So how did they end up with purple eyes? (The only ones except the Targaryens in Westeros with such eyes).

Just like GRRM's original letter, the plot might have changed significantly since then. Dorne is tending to be one of Deanerys' enemies after Quentyn's death and now with Aegon, so unless she instantly goes fire and blood there, I think she'll land somewhere else, probably the Vale with a quick travel to Dragonstone.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived