Alternate Mummer's Dragon Interpretation

Isobel Harper

“Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them.

Popularly, the mummer's dragon is interpreted to be Aegon, whether as a fake dragon, as Varys' dragon, or as both.

Here's an alternate possible meaning that I propose. I credit the Vassals of Kingsgrave podcast on YouTube for giving me this idea.

"What is a mummer's dragon, pray?"

"A cloth dragon on poles," Dany explained. "Mummers use them in their follies, to give the heroes something to fight."

Aegon being the suspected "mummer's dragon" might be a red herring, or he might remain as a possible interpretation of the term. What I propose is that the "mummer's dragon(s)" will end up being a sort of Trojan Horse. The kraken, dark flame, lion, griffin, and sun's son have (with the exception of griffin1) all have recently turned up (or will turn up very soon) in the story in Meereen. I suspect this "mummer's dragon" will show up soon in Meereen as well. I imagine something along the lines of a festival, one with mummer's dragons to celebrate the "dragons'" victory of Meereen over the Yunkai'i. However, the "dragons on poles" that are able to spread to almost every corner of the city are not held up by mummer's, but rather by soldiers under guise. These soldiers are then able to attack and/or very probably sack the city.

(1I feel that griffin was added ("lion and griffin") as Tyrion was with "the griffin" (i.e. Jon Connington - [ETA: who was also seeking her out]) at the time the prophecy was made. So, in this sense, all of Quaithe's "warnings" end up in Meereen.)

Suspects include Yunkai or Volantis. Another possible suspect of such a ploy is the Shavepate, who I feel was behind the locust poisoning in ADoD. (There's a well-written breakdown of the "Meereenese Knot" on this blog, which characterizes the Shavepate as the "Littlefinger" of Meereen.) Whether the Shavepate was behind the locusts poisoning or not, we can all agree that he has disdain for many of the major houses and possibly seeks to destroy them.

“The Shavepate would feed them to your dragons, it is said.”

-Galazza Galare, to Daenerys Targaryen, on Skahaz's intentions towards the Meereenese child hostages.

“You have no lack of enemies, Your Grace. You can see their pyramids from your terrace. Zhak, Hazkar, Ghazeen, Merreq, Loraq, all the old slaving families. Pahl. Pahl, most of all. A house of women now. Bitter old women with a taste for blood. Women do not forget. Women do not forgive.”

-Skahaz mo Kandaq "The Shavepate"

“Every man on that list has kin within the city. Sons and brothers, wives and daughters, mothers and fathers. Let my Brazen Beasts seize them. Their lives will win you back those ships.”

"If I send the Brazen Beasts into the pyramids, it will mean open war inside the city. I have to trust in Hizdahr. I have to hope for peace.” Dany held the parchment above a candle and watched the names go up in flame, while Skahaz glowered at her.

Also, (Winds of Winter spoiler)

The Shavepate’s Brazen Beasts are manning the city walls in place of the Unsullied while they battle Yunkai in the beginning of Winds of Winter.

Whether I am right or wrong about this alternate interpretation of the "mummer's dragon," I do feel certain about one thing: it will show up in Meereen.

Thoughts?

I imagine something along the lines of a festival, one with mummer's dragons to celebrate the "dragons'" victory of Meereen over the Yunkai'i. However, the "dragons on poles" that are able to spread to almost every corner of the city are not held up by mummer's, but rather by soldiers under guise. These soldiers are then able to attack and/or very probably sack the city.

This would be awesome

(1I feel that griffin was added ("lion and griffin") as Tyrion was with "the griffin" (i.e. Jon Connington) at the time the prophecy was made. So, in this sense, all of Quaithe's "warnings" end up in Meereen.)

Going by the standard interpretation (inc. Mummers Dragon = "Aegon"), all of the list were headed to Dany at the time Quaithe said this. Perhaps it wasn't a prophesy, but a glass candle reading (which see in real-time rather than the future). Quaithe seems to be using a glass candle at the end of DwD, as her face appearing matches the description of how glass candles can manifest.

This would explain why fAegon and Jon are on Quaithe's list but don't show up in Meereen; they changed course.

If Quaithe considers them dangerous, I think not matters little if Jon and Aegon are on their way to Dany or not because she will believe they are dangerous. If Dany lands in Westeros and hears about Lord Connington and Aegon, she will now that they are the griffin and the mummer's dragon she should be careful with. Even if she never meets them, she won't ally with them.

Going by the standard interpretation (inc. Mummers Dragon = "Aegon"), all of the list were headed to Dany at the time Quaithe said this. Perhaps it wasn't a prophesy, but a glass candle reading (which see in real-time rather than the future). Quaithe seems to be using a glass candle at the end of DwD, as her face appearing matches the description of how glass candles can manifest.

This would explain why fAegon and Jon are on Quaithe's list but don't show up in Meereen; they changed course.

Yes, mummer's dragon is certainly still open for interpretation, which I am keeping an open mind about too. In defense of my arguement though, she states "lion and griffin," not "mummer's dragon and griffin." Note that each pair are connected to one another. "Kraken and dark flame" are Victarion with Moqorro. "Lion and griffin" are Tyrion and Griff/JonCon. "Sun's son and mummer's dragon" are Quentyn and... perhaps the men that Quentyn brings with him will help the city fall?

Note that each pair are connected to one another. "Kraken and dark flame" are Victarion with Moqorro. "Lion and griffin" are Tyrion and Griff/JonCon.

I think it would have been a terrible sentence to read if he hadn't put mummers dragon at the end.

Anyway, interesting trivia - in an early draft it was Vic and Euron instead of Moqorro.

I think it would have been a terrible sentence to read if he hadn't put mummers dragon at the end.

Then why not end it with "griffin and mummer's dragon?"

Anyway, interesting trivia - in an early draft it was Vic and Euron instead of Moqorro.

Yeah, I remember that. I believe GRRM originally had "crow and kraken." Guess that was too obvious? :dunno:

Wasn't Illryio's plan for them to all (Dany, Griffin, Faegon and Lion all supposed to meet in Volantis? Not Mereen? IIRC

Archived