(AWOIAF) Why did Rhaenys condone the rule of six?

Panos Targaryen

In WOIAF it is mentioned that while Rhaenys was sitting the Iron Throne in her brother's place she was faced with a situation where a woman had been beaten to death by her husband, and her brothers had come to the IT for justice. Rhaenys to me seems like a woman who would never support spousal abuse (in this instance gender specific too), as Aegon's queen and of Valyrian culture and gender roles, she is a more "empowered" woman and of more advanced moral stereotypes. She sounds very intelligent, adventurous and daring, flirting with singers etc, she doesn't sound like an oppressed woman at all.

So, you would except her to be completely against the legal beating of women, but instead she makes this "Rule of Six", where a husband can only beat his wife 6 times, and only with a thin rod. But why replace a very barbaric law by a less barbaric one? It's still cruel, and yeah, it did help the brothers get justice in the end, but it still allows spousal abuse. Why did Rhaenys do this? Was she afraid the smallfolk would be opposed to it? I'm sure she could have gotten away with it, having dragons and all.

In WOIAF it is mentioned that while Rhaenys was sitting the Iron Throne in her brother's place she was faced with a situation where a woman had been beaten to death by her husband, and her brothers had come to the IT for justice. Rhaenys to me seems like a woman who would never support spousal abuse (in this instance gender specific too), as Aegon's queen and of Valyrian culture and gender roles, she is a more "empowered" woman and of more advanced moral stereotypes. She sounds very intelligent, adventurous and daring, flirting with singers etc, she doesn't sound like an oppressed woman at all.

So, you would except her to be completely against the legal beating of women, but instead she makes this "Rule of Six", where a husband can only beat his wife 6

times, and only with a thin rod. But why replace a very barbaric law by a less barbaric one? It's still cruel, and yeah, it did help the brothers get justice in the end, but

it still allows spousal abuse. Why did Rhaenys do this? Was she afraid the smallfolk would be opposed to it? I'm sure she could have gotten away with it, having dragons and all.

Probably because the opinion of the dead woman's family represents the general view. It's reasonable to punish an unfaithful wife; but killing her is murder.

The Targaryens made a lot of compromises with their subjects, to keep them on board.

Archived