Can "punching down" humor ever work?

Kat

what can possibly be your justification for getting so worked up over people (very fairly) criticizing the (prodigious) flaws in your arguments when these (egregiously abominable) arguments you keep attempting to make are about shaming people into not getting excited or protesting humor they find harmful and oppressive? By your own advocacy, shouldn't you be sitting there and taking it silently? What gives you the right to argue back on this?

I was just getting worked up over being accused of not understanding people's points and accused of retorting with things that people didn't say, theN I pointed out when the same thing was done to me very soon after I was accused.

As for what justification do I have? I don't know, I didn't know I was required to have any justification for it.

I was just getting worked up over being accused of not understanding people's points and accused of retorting with things that people didn't say, theN I pointed out when the same thing was done to me very soon after I was accused.

As for what justification do I have? I don't know, I didn't know I was required to have any justification for it.

You believe that our criticisms of your arguments and behavior are unfair and wrong. So you've embarked on this bizarre campaign to set the record straight and defend yourself and your views.

Yet, for some reason, you find that when people see certain types of jokes as being unfair and wrong, they are being overly sensitive and excitable and infringing on comedy and unfairly influencing the market with their moral reasonings and whatever. (And whatever you claim you've shifted the goalposts to now, that's what you spent the majority of the thread arguing-- that people criticizing this humor should essentially get over themselves.)

I'll save myself a tiresome back and forth on this, and just leave it here.

To be clear, I'm saying you shouldnt heckle the comedian while he or she's at work with your negative opinions abput their work. I never said don't ever criticize comedy or a comedian ever.

Take your average Internet forum.

if you feel their moderators are being unfair or immoral in some way by how they moderate. You arent supposed to just publicly criticize them on their own site.

most forums don't even allow you to say anything at all about how they moderate.

That doesn't mean they are saying don't ever criticize forum moderators under any circumstance anywhere for any reason.

There are just certain ways and places that you aren't supposed to voice that criticism.

btw Theda, BBs post above is an example of someone making up their own version of what I said and then crediting me with saying it.

Archived