Tywin....why so late?

Seriously. What was he waiting for? I know him and the king were at odds, but why did he wait? Especially with Jaime being in KL, why didn't he rush in to save the realm, like he had in the past? Was he afraid of picking the wrong side? Did I miss something in TWOIAF?

Seriously, what are your thoughts

Seriously. What was he waiting for? I know him and the king were at odds, but why did he wait? Especially with Jaime being in KL, why didn't he rush in to save the realm, like he had in the past? Was he afraid of picking the wrong side? Did I miss something in TWOIAF?

Seriously, what are your thoughts

He couldn't jump in on the Rebels side because Aerys was basically holding Jaime hostage, that is why Aerys specifically had Jaime guard him at King's Landing.

And he didn't want to jump in to save Aerys because he and Aerys were at odds, due all the times that Aerys disrespected him in actions before.

Add to that, Tywin is shrewd and knew the longer he waited, the more his unscathed army would be worth... and the more likely he would be to pick the winning side.

Because picking a side meant making a gamble, up until after the Trident. After the Trident Aery's loss was a foregone conclusion as long as he sided with Robert.

I suppose you could describe it as shrewd, but it can also be construed as unprincipled, which is how most of the others on Robert's side saw it. Most of them backed Robert early out of principal, or at least fought against him before changing sides. Tywin doesn't seem to have any principles other than gaining more power for House Lannister and himself.

Because picking a side meant making a gamble, up until after the Trident. After the Trident Aery's loss was a foregone conclusion as long as he sided with Robert.

I suppose you could describe it as shrewd, but it can also be construed as unprincipled, which is how most of the others on Robert's side saw it. Most of them backed Robert early out of principal, or at least fought against him before changing sides. Tywin doesn't seem to have any principles other than gaining more power for House Lannister and himself.

100% agreed, Tywin is douche bag.

But a smart douche bag

I know Tywin is judged a lot for this and obviously his reasons were for House Lannister only but I do not think he was really obligated to join either side. The Greyjoys did not either. Aerys had treated Twin poorly and was clearly unstable so I do not think Tywin had to back him. But Tywin had no ties to te rebels and Aerys's treatment of him were not so bad that it would justify a rebellion. Westerlands joining could have potentially just made the rebellion much more bloody and it would have lasted longer. And if Rhaegar had won Tywin and rest of the loyalist would have backed Rhaegar getting rid if Aerys so there would not probably have been unstable King anyway weather who won.

Because Aerys was too much of a fool to ask until it was too late.

Old Lord Merryweather's inaction had allowed the rebellion to take root and spread, and Aerys wanted someone young and vigorous to match Robert's own youth and vigor. "Too soon," Lord Tywin Lannister had declared when word of the king's choice had reached Casterly Rock. "Connington is too young, too bold, too eager for glory." The Battle of the Bells had proved the truth of that. Ser Kevan had expected that afterward Aerys would have no choice but to summon Tywin once more ... but the Mad King had turned to the Lords Chelsted and Rossart instead, and paid for it with life and crown.

-Kevan

This kind of suggests that there was still a chance, after the Battle of the Bells, when Tywin would still have rejoined the Crown, providing he got his price.

Archived