Cersei's trial's effect on others

JaegrM

If cersei is found guilty Tommen risks his claim to the throne.

So I'm now wondering if she's found guilty, is Jaime also immediately found guilty? Or would he get his own trial?

Lancel admitted to the high sparrow that he played a role in Robert's death, at Cersei's request, is his apparent lack of punishment because it would depend on her trials outcome?

I can't recall any similar situations setting any precedents, but i very well may have forgotten or missed some information.

One of the charges that will be defended by Cersei's trial is that her children were bastards born of incest...

He nodded. "Last of all, and worst of all, there are some who say your children were not fathered by King Robert, that they are bastards born of incest and adultery."

"Stannis says that," Cersei said at once. "A lie, a lie, a palpable lie. Stannis wants the Iron Throne for himself, but his brother's children stand in his way, so he must needs claim that they are not his brother's. That filthy letter there is no shred of truth to it. I deny it."

The High Septon placed both hands flat upon the table and pushed himself to his feet. "Good. Lord Stannis has turned from the truth of the Seven to worship a red demon, and his false faith has no place in these Seven Kingdoms."

That was almost reassuring. Cersei nodded. "Even so," His High Holiness went on, "these are terrible charges, and the realm must know the truth of them. If Your Grace has told it true, no doubt a trial will prove your innocence."

A trial, still. "I have confessed"

Cersei I, Dance

If Cersei loses her trial, Tommen will lose his crown and Stannis will be seen as Robert's true heir. The Faith would have to fight his claim, much like Aeron is fighting Euron and the Church fought Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. Jaime's guilt would be an interesting question for ASOIAF attorneys. Logically, he must be guilty, since the gods have condemned Cersei for an act she did with Jaime, but Jaime was denied due process. But the point is moot. If you've read

Mercy

then you know

Cersei has won her trial, which we should have expected since

House Lannister and "Baratheon" supporters in King's Landing, House Tyrell, the Faith, and even Varys wanted Cersei to win.

I understand the charges against Cersei, and the effect it would have on the lannister/ baratheon rule.

I'm just curious about the effect it would have on others that were involved in the crimes charged against her.

The only similar type of situation i can think of is sansa/tyrion in the case of Joff's murder.

Tyrion was tried and found guilty.

I know they wanted to have Sansa on trial.

I'm not sure if it's the same as Jaime/ Cersei though, sansa and tyrion were wed, "two hearts that beat as one" and all that.

Cersei is convinced of Sansa's guilt, but would she be allowed her own trial still?

And Cersei cant be guilty of the incest if Jaime isn't, but like you said, no due process.

I think incest is a sin not a crime. Like how the high sparrow said sins can be forgiven by the gods but crimes must have punishments.

The incest isn't the crime but rather the adultery on the women's part since no one bats an eyelid when Robert slept with countless whores in his marriage and during his betrothal with lyanna (battle of the bells).

Who it would affect is tommen, the lannisters, tyrells and the high sparrow.

Tommen's claim is lost if Cersei is found guilty. The alliance with Tyrells is broken, margaery therefore loses her title as queen. By law the throne would have to pass to Stannis (cause I know in cases where there's no more heirs acknowledged bastards can take the throne but edric is the only acknowledged one and he's gone). And if Stannis takes the throne high sparrow loses his power, cause his power comes from the seven and stannis will deny the seven and bring the "red demon".

High sparrow is aware of this, he'll probably make the faiths champion a laughing stock, (As he might have already done), and will now focus on marg's trial. Because if he wants to inflict real damage while not being harmed himself this is how it will be done.

This incest is both a sin AND a crime.

Cersei cheated on the king, the father of the realm. She violated her vows to the king. Treason.

The same is true of Jaime. Kingsgaurd vow not to produce heirs.

Both are guilty of violating vows made to the king and thereby usurping the throne under false pretenses.

Question still is: in Westeros law, should/would/will both be found guilty if one or the other was found guilty? Or would the other person be able to... appeal?

Archived