[Spoilers]Faceless men discussion

robasp2

1-We don't know really

2-Yes

3-We don't know yet

It's almost a fact that they can only wear one face at one time. In the books it's a surgial ritual where they let the face mask mold with the skin via blood (that's my interpretation).

It's totally magical. Because Arya still sees her own face and can feel her teeth when her "donor" lacks some but everyone else sees her as if it was her real face. No illusion. She also got some of the "donor"s memories but that was for a short time.

Apparently, the Kindly Man changed his voice while training with Arya that she didn't recognize him (she was blind at that time). She was only able to tell it was Kindly Man after warging a cat.

Faceless Men can also cast glamors like shadowbinders. It's basically illusion: a mix of light and shadows. But what FM do with the masks is far beyond that and one can cast glamors upon objects like Stannis's sword. Shapechanging with FM-style can't do that lol

What Jaqen did in aCoK howerer, I have no idea. Maybe the ultimate level of shapechaning? There was no ritual or gemstones (apparently you need gemstones when you cast a glamor) so it wasn't what they did to Arya or what Mel is doing.

As I recall, not only gemstones but previous owner items, like bones.

Uhh. Didn't get you dude :/

Also, no one actually explianed why they have a physical face gallery?

It's still somewhat unclear in the books, but not as much as the show, they never explicitly say why they have all the faces. It may be that anyone who dies in the house of black and white, while cleaning the body they take the face for later use.

As far as changing faces we see 2 different methods in the books. It seems that experienced FM have full control of there muscles in there face and train them to be able to adjust at will. This seems to be how Jaqen changes his face, almost like a glamour.

Part of Arya's training at the HoBaW was training the muscles in her face. However she is definitely not a pro yet. So when she changes her face it's almost like a surgical process as others have said. Almost like they were forcibly sewing a new face on her. When it's done, she didn't realize she had a new face, but others could see it. Also, she received some of the memories of the person who's face she took when that person was alive.

In the books peeled faces also hold a memories of a previous life sending them as a visions, feels, remembering of a certain scene that left some trace in life of that person (almost moment of death, pain).

From show I cought when Jaqen asked Arya if she is ready to give up of her face, in context of becoming noone process.

That every faceless man must give up of his own face (the final step probably) sounds most likely to me.

I've also wondered what happens if a relative or friend of the dead person recognizes the face of their loved one on the FM. I haven't read that far in the books so I don't know if that's addressed.

Wow good point..

ALL of them share the same gallery so they definetly cant remember details of every single one.

Archived