How safe is HighGarden?

In the meantime, the Tyrells have sent Garlan with a large portion of their army to defend the Reach. I assume that he will not neglect the defence of their own seat. Ironborn raids won't come with proper siege equipment so should be very hard for them to take Highgarden, unless it is barely/not defended like Winterfell was.

I think that the Ironborn are due for a few setbacks in the Reach, and not due to Aegon; IMO Euron is not with them, but has been following Victarion to Dany. If true, the people who left behind (including the glamoured impostor) are likely to make mistakes sooner or later.

We are directly told that it is not all that strong of a castle in TWOIAF. I personally think a Dornish host will sack Highgarden and we will see it through Hotahs POV, while the Other Dornish host joins Aegon at Storms End.

Garlan will meet his end trying to retake the shields when he thinks the Ironborn are away fighting the Redwyn fleet, Harras Harlaw will kill him with Nightfall.

We are directly told that it is not all that strong of a castle in TWOIAF. I personally think a Dornish host will sack Highgarden and we will see it through Hotahs POV, while the Other Dornish host joins Aegon at Storms End.

Garlan will meet his end trying to retake the shields when he thinks the Ironborn are away fighting the Redwyn fleet, Harras Harlaw will kill him with Nightfall.

What? We're not told that at all. Quite the opposite in fact. It has three layers of walls, each thicker and stronger than the last, and even the hedge maze has been maintained for defensive purposes, holding traps and generally being built to disorient. It's a huge castle built on a hill, with thick walls and well-maintained defenses. What's not defensible about that? In terms of origins it even goes back to the Age of Heroes, like Winterfell with its double curtain wall.

What? We're not told that at all. Quite the opposite in fact. It has three layers of walls, each thicker and stronger than the last, and even the hedge maze has been maintained for defensive purposes, holding traps and generally being built to disorient. It's a huge castle built on a hill, with thick walls and well-maintained defenses. What's not defensible about that? In terms of origins it even goes back to the Age of Heroes, like Winterfell with its double curtain wall.

Well, the Hedge maze is quite weak to fire and the castle was sacked by the Dornish in the past allready IIRC.

Well, the Hedge maze is quite weak to fire and the castle was sacked by the Dornish in the past allready IIRC.

Theon Greyjoy and, what, twelve guys took Winterfell, the strongest castle in the North. That doesn't make it any less strong. It just means that its defense was put in the hands of absolute idiots.The hedge maze could well be burnt, but that kind of ruins the whole element of surprise angle (also, it precludes any assault during the burning, as hedges burn hot apparently, and with so much it'll be a long fire you can see from miles away, and it won't even scratch the walls at that!), and you can bet the Greyjoys will need the element of surprise. The Ironborn aren't masters of siege-craft by any means, and they still need to get through the two primary walls.

Of course it's possible for the Ironborn to take Highgarden, considering they did Winterfell with infinitely less resources, but it would require absolute incompetence on the part of the defenders, like, Rodrik Cassel-level pure stupidity. Likewise, when the Dornish took Highgarden, it was during a period of heavy instability in the Reach, where there was effectively no king, and no resources to call upon to defend it. The opposite is true now. The Tyrells are firmly in command of the Reach, the entire region is steeling for the Ironborn assault, and they command the type of numbers you'd usually see in the Lord of the Rings.

^ I do not recall the exact words of the text, but TWOIAF makes clear mention to Highgarden being prettier than it was defensible. I also didn't say the Ironborn would take it I said I suspected the Dornish would. While you say the Tyrells are currently strong in the Reach, your forgetting just how many enemies they have and how they have been set up to fall. Aegon at Storms End, the faith in KL, the Ironborn on the shield islands and Arbor, and the Dornish in the princes pass. I think the Reach is in just as much chaos as it was then. Garlan never managed to take Brightwater keep and Oldtown is harboring a Florent as well.

Because the Tyrells are pressed on so many sides, it will only take 1 loss to really hurt them. If Euron sinks the Redwyn fleet with magic, if Reach troops defect to Aegon, there's so many possibilities.

^ I do not recall the exact words of the text, but TWOIAF makes clear mention to Highgarden being prettier than it was defensible. I also didn't say the Ironborn would take it I said I suspected the Dornish would. While you say the Tyrells are currently strong in the Reach, your forgetting just how many enemies they have and how they have been set up to fall. Aegon at Storms End, the faith in KL, the Ironborn on the shield islands and Arbor, and the Dornish in the princes pass. I think the Reach is in just as much chaos as it was then. Garlan never managed to take Brightwater keep and Oldtown is harboring a Florent as well.

Because the Tyrells are pressed on so many sides, it will only take 1 loss to really hurt them. If Euron sinks the Redwyn fleet with magic, if Reach troops defect to Aegon, there's so many possibilities.

Can't say I much care on the subject of the Tyrells losing elsewhere, as it's fairly obvious they will, as the discussion is about Highgarden and its defensibility, and Highgarden is indeed very fortified. An outer wall, and two curtain walls, all on upward approaches from one another giving defenders a constant advantage in height, all within easy view from one another to hamper infiltration.

It's no Casterly Rock or Storm's End, but it seems about on par with Winterfell. To the siegecraft-ignorant Ironborn, it's a pretty insurmountable obstacle, unless like Winterfell and (likely soon Storm's End) they 'take it by guile' their way through the defenses (honestly, there's only so many times you can use that before it gets a bit old).

Archived