Reward House Darry

Jeeves

You are Targaryen and reclaimed your throne.   How do you reward the Darrys?  Who else would you reward, and how?  Do you have the authority to get Aliser Thorne out of the watch and rewarded for his loyalty?  Some Jon supporters claim Robb has the authority to get Jon out of his commitment.  Surely, the ruler of the seven kingdoms has more authority than Robb to do this for Aliser Thorne.

Granting Darry lands to just anyone is not rewarding the Darrys.  You will have to track down Darry descendants and you may have to legit a bastard or two. 

Springing people out of the Night Watch is a bad idea and could establish a bad precedent for your rule.  It's a bad idea for Robb and a bad idea for anyone.   Think, you may have to send some political dissenters to the wall in the future.  You want that permanent.  A vow is a vow, an oath is an oath for life at the Wall.  No exceptions.  Exceptions is what create ethical problems. 

Boot the Baratheons out of Storm's End and give it to Lord Varys.  Send Edmure to the wall is a good idea.  Give his family's castle to the Darrys.  Consider restoring the Starks to Winterfell but all remaining Starks, including Snow Flake, must kneel and swear fealty to the dragons. 

Granting Darry lands to just anyone is not rewarding the Darrys.  You will have to track down Darry descendants and you may have to legit a bastard or two. 

Springing people out of the Night Watch is a bad idea and could establish a bad precedent for your rule.  It's a bad idea for Robb and a bad idea for anyone.   Think, you may have to send some political dissenters to the wall in the future.  You want that permanent.  A vow is a vow, an oath is an oath for life at the Wall.  No exceptions.  Exceptions is what create ethical problems. 

But the fault is on Robb for making an exception in the first place.  Reward Alliser then close any loopholes that might exist.

This is going to sound very cynical, but not that much. There aren't really any great candidates to be head of House Darry, which means whichever bastard or female-line descendant or woman I give the seat and name to is likely going to have gotten a huge promotion and will be very grateful. I give them their lands and title back - likely expanded - and if there are remaining candidate Darrys, I appoint one of them a semi-hereditary steward / seneschal / castellan / Knight of Harrenhal, which I make a Targaryen summer palace a la Summerhall. I may also refill their treasury, and make them feel like a confidant in my letters - so that instead of grumbling at the position of their house, they're eagerly awaiting potential future goodies like royally arranged marriages, wardships, and offices. I don't even need to promise them explicitly, just hint at it, so long as I deliver on a few of these within my lifetime (presumably the new Darrys won't multiply so fast that I need give more than one or two of the above) Everyone will agree I've rewarded them, but I don't need to dispossess any other lords or create a new, potentially dangerous vassal in the future. Plus, while some offices may be semi-hereditary, they don't follow any iron rules of inheritance - I can pick based on both politics and actual ability to do the job.

Taking the lands of all your enemies and giving them to friends is a good idea in theory, but in practice it creates an incentive for survivors to rebel in the future - just look at House Peake or the Golden Company. If you want to create a vacancy, be prepared to either do a Castamere or at least remove all male-line or male-line legitimate descent, place some other placeholder house in the territory, and let the remaining descendants petition you for scraps (of which they will, again, be grateful.)

If I'm a restored Targaryen, I'm presumably either Daenerys or Jon. Either way, I want Jon officially and legally out of the Night's Watch, either to legitimize my rule or to provide potential backup heirs and marriage alliance opportunities with the daughters of high lords. I might intervene to make Thorne the LC of the Night's Watch if Dany - not sure what I'd do as Jon. Likely the same, but on the condition that he ratifies my lawful discharge. If Dany, I might offer to get him out and give him either a spot on the KG or command of the Gold Cloaks. If he stays at the Wall, give the Watch material support - food, men, surplus goods. Potentially create a secondary Watch with service for a term of years, an inexpensive way of giving lesser nobles (especially Northerners who don't follow the Seven) a soldier's apprenticeship.

The Martells need rewarding, and the Tyrells can keep their seat and power - though I will be rather pointedly associating with their rivals to make a point about how dangerous a game they have been playing. Storm's End will need to go to one of my supporters - perhaps I make a match between one of the Arianne Martell or one of the Sand Snakes and whichever Storm Lord I like most as a condition for Storm's End. And no, that person will not be named Edric Storm, Gendry, or Mya Stone.

Archived