Missing a Meisha Merlin/Sub Press numbered or lettered ed?

Geddon

Yeah, I guess not. I mean it is the second book in the series, and I wouldn't want it without the first. I think it would be much easier to sell a MMGoT, by itself. Although, if this goes down any lower, I may buy it, since it is such a steal. :) It will be interesting to see which books become the most treasured, after subterranean releases their version. I guess, only time will tell. That why I think it is best to just hold on to all versions for now.

Let's not go overboard with the price for this things. Here's a referesher course on VALUE.

The VALUE of these books lie in COMPLETE SETS.

The MOST value for a matching set.

Less value but still considerable for a COMPLETE set.

Even LESS value for an INCOMPLETE set but one that gives you RIGHTS for all future volumes in the series.

This Clash of Kings gives you NONE OF THE ABOVE, it is just an isolated book.

So unless you are a John Howe collector, this book from my point of view is nearly worthless and actually severely OVERPRICED at even 650 dollars.

Remember it sold initially for 250 dollars so he was asking about TRIPLE MSRP at 750 which again is insane for an isolated book.

Frankly I'm shocked it sold for 650, I really hope that wasn't you midnightrider . . .

But it's "season two", which is starting now, and I've seen aGoT go for 1500 here, on the forum, with no complaints.

If you like the series, it's just cool to have a limited edition. If I didn't have a set, or had more money than I knew how to use, I'd def get a single volume at that price. Specially MM's.

Edit; not to mention people with full SP sets, hoping to finds MMs to complete their sets.

I totally agree with you Wolfbrother. I did not purchase it, but I do think that $650 is a reasonable price for a book that is fairly scarce. The book alone is definitely not worthless. No one can predict what with happen to the value of these books in 20-30 years. If someone offered me a stand alone signed/ limited first edition of "Return of the King" for $600, I would buy it. I have seen first edition silver jacket "A Game of Thrones" sell on ebay from $600-$800, and the book is not part of a set. I also think that people are going a little overboard over the importance of matching MMS with the subterranean. I agree there will be more value in the matching, but once Subterranean releases a ACoK and AGoT, I do not think that is going to be as much hype if the MMs match, since the subterranean will be the full matching set which include all the books in series.

Yeah saw it. I put the 499 bid, just to get it higher (at that point the reserve was still in). But now it's really risen. I think we're all happy it got to 1300 bucks in only one day.

However, the smuck selling it, is putting his books up one by one. And with a reserve. So I could see him shooting himself in the leg, with this act of stupidity.

Yeah, I think it is foolish that he is not selling it as a set, especially the matching Subterranean books. I think he is going to make out well on MM, AGoT, but no so much on the others. I emailed him and he said that he has the rights for all of the future sub. books but that is non-transferable? I do not know who is going to want half a matching set of books of Subterranean books without the ability to acquire the others, with a reserve price. This should be interesting, to say the least... :eek:

Yeah, I think it is foolish that he is not selling it as a set, especially the matching Subterranean books. I think he is going to make out well on MM, AGoT, but no so much on the others. I emailed him and he said that he has the rights for all of the future sub. books but that is non-transferable? I do not know who is going to want half a matching set of books of Subterranean books without the ability to acquire the others, with a reserve price. This should be interesting, to say the least... :eek:

I've never heard of the rights being non-transferable, Sub Press is usually pretty good in that respect. Sounds like he might not have looked into it properly.

I'm positive the rights are transferable, even if you didn't buy it from Subpress and you bought it from another store like Camelot Books or something. I hope he isn't simply saying that so he can get the new books and resell them at a profit immediately.

Awfull books got it pinned down

Lifetime Prepaid Subscriptions

When someone decides to enter the publishing business, in order to generate sufficient startup capital, he (or she) will sometimes offer a handful of lifetime prepaid subscriptions to interested parties. These subscriptions are very costly, running into the thousands of dollars, but the buyer need no longer remit any additional money for books for the entire operating life of the press. A company can offer this subscription for their numbered editions, lettered, or both. They can also be sold just for certain series, such as Cemetery Dance's Signature line. Be aware that some presses offer only "PC" books under this plan rather than uniquely serialized editions, so caveat emptor!

As with any other investment, this is a risky proposition for the buyer of the subscription. Small presses are notoriously volatile and many promising operations have closed due to a variety of reasons. However, others have enjoyed great prosperity and their books have risen significantly on the secondary market. The practice of offering lifetime subscriptions is on the decline, however. Also, these subscriptions are frequently not solicited to the general public, but instead first offered to close friends and acquaintances.

That is so strange. I would think that once you refused the rights to a book in the set, that the rights should go to the person who bought that book, etc... The weirdest part is that the seller said he had the rights, soo shouldn't he offer that to the buyer of the subterranean set? Meaning, once the seller receives "Dragons" he should email the buyer of the set, and offer the book to him or her, right? It is a shame that yet another set of books is going to be spilt up! :frown5:

Archived