Missing a Meisha Merlin/Sub Press numbered or lettered ed?

Geddon

This "lifetime" subscriber thing is way over my head.

In any case, there is no evidence to speak of to suggest that this idiot who is selling his books separately as anything to do with a "lifetime subscription" issue.

Rights are definitely transferrable and it's more likely he simply did not investigate enough.

Else, if rights are not transferable who has it? Him? Then why can't he tell Bill to transfer it?

It just doesn't make any sense at any level but all in all that's great for those of us with matching sets. Another nice matching set broken up for no good reason . . . damn shame though.

Saw that he noted on his CoK listing that he didn't buy Dance from SubPress. That's why he doesn't have rights going forward.

As to broken sets, I'm still tweeked that the people who have Storm of Swords #45 wouldn't trade me or let me buy their copy of #45. Good luck reuniting from here on in. You're going to run into more and more investors and non-fans who just want to bilk you or who don't care. Sigh.

It's early on Sunday to be so nihilistic. Sorry!

Hey guys, there is a set of the first four books with MATCHING NUMBERS (#38) on ebay where the price just got slashed to $ 9.000. Quite reasonable I think. The only question ist, has the buyer future rights for the next book?

The seller is Realms of Fantasy Books. He had this offer at abebooks at $ 10.000 for quite some time but apparently no one was interested so he decided to put it on ebay with a 10% discount. This could be an unfortunate trend of collectors trying to rid themselves of the books because Subterranean announced their own editions of ASOIAF..

I thought about getting this set but decided against it after some thought. I am just not convinced about the long time value I guess.

Hi Lord Eddard, 9000$ is almost twice the sets value. The going rate for a complete set, with Dance preordered, is roughly 5000$ for a matched set, and 4000$ for mixed numbers. (Based on recent sales.)

So that seller is nothing short of a criminal. I know many who would sell if it got anywhere near 7-8000$ for their matched set.

I agree with everything Wolfbrother said with respect to the values of matched/unmatched sets. $9,000 is beyond reasonable and I'd be very surprised if anyone picked it up at that cost. On the other hand I'd be very happy though, as it'd set a new precedent.

Yeah, I went through this whole process when I decided to buy my set. $9,000 is just way too much. Camelot Books sells matching numbered sets which include all future rights for $3,000. The only thing is that AGoT Meisha is not included, so you would have to pick up a stray, which shouldn't be too hard. (I found mine on this site) But in the end you will end up with a "complete" numbered set, once Subterranean re-releases ACoK, and AGoT. I decided to go this route, because I really love the books, and it wasn't worth $5,000 more to have the matching meisha AGoT.

Yes. Camelotbooks has consistently been raising their price for books 2-4 for a while now. I think they went up to 5k about a month ago. People are still buying them so who knows what their price will be by the end of the year. There's always going to be someone out there willing to dish out top dollar for these sets, but 9k for a numbered at this point is a bit much. As for the lettered, I really don't think are many out there. And most who have them won't be selling them any time soon.

Does anyone have an e-dress for Rugburn?

I pm'd him, but got no response. I'd certainly prefer to sell to him, but I DO want to sell, so if he's not interested, I'd like to know that, too.

Rugburn also has the MMGoT # that I need. If you sell yours to him (completing his set), then maybe I can buy his...

...or I could buy yours and simply trade with him later, since I don't currently have an MMGoT at all (just all of the other #341's).

I haven't heard from him since last year on this board, but he did respond to my post earlier in this thread (see pages 5 and 6). Unfortunately, I don't have his email.

Hi Lord Eddard, 9000$ is almost twice the sets value. The going rate for a complete set, with Dance preordered, is roughly 5000$ for a matched set, and 4000$ for mixed numbers. (Based on recent sales.)

So that seller is nothing short of a criminal. I know many who would sell if it got anywhere near 7-8000$ for their matched set.

Unless the seller refuses to provide the books as described when paid, he's well short of being a criminal. I understand that you believe the books are overpriced, but another potential buyer might disagree. The seller is entitled to ask for whatever he pleases. Buyer beware.

I understand the seller can ask whatever he wants BUT there is a reason why those books have been for sale for over and year and no one has bought them. They are overpriced. I think the only reason they would sell is if a potential buyer doesn't do their research. I have been collecting antiquarian books and first editions for years, and it is amazing what you can find if you do your research. Most of these book dealers sell there books with a %100 markup, which they usually purchase at small auctions, etc. If you find the auctions sites, etc, where some of these books are acquired, it will save you a lot of money! :)

@BoldAsYouPlease, oh please, dont bandy words with me, it was a play on words. The seller probably knows the real value of the set, thus he is a proper arsehole, trying to take advantage of someones ignorance. Besides, even when there were two other complete sets not selling (priced at 6k, also too much), his description said that his set was the only one currently for sale . I believe the other sets sold for under 5k.

Anyways, good news, there will be one less complete SP set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASOIAF-Storm-Swords-Feast-Crows-Subterranean-Press-Martin-OOP-52-448-/170827919685?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item27c6233145

If the seller just waits three or four months to Dance finds its new owner, he might actually get 2k for the set, but no, he tries to sell em NOW. The way this seller has put out the books has truly been horrific.

Rugburn also has the MMGoT # that I need. If you sell yours to him (completing his set), then maybe I can buy his...

...or I could buy yours and simply trade with him later, since I don't currently have an MMGoT at all (just all of the other #341's).

I haven't heard from him since last year on this board, but he did respond to my post earlier in this thread (see pages 5 and 6). Unfortunately, I don't have his email.

I've tried to contact him unsuccessfully. I can only conclude that he's no longer on the board. Anyway, I'm still trying to sell my book. E-mail me if you're interested.

I'll never understand why someone offering a product or service, while clearing stating what it is they're providing, at a high cost gets such a bad name. Seeking to make a profit for some reason makes people call you an "arsehole". Sigh.

Wolfbrother, if you had a complete matching set and someone came up to you offered you 10k for it would you say no?

Everyone's free to offer items at whatever they like, if someone buys it without doing their own research then it's their problem. There's no information asymmetry here, and there's also no reason why we should debate the value of the item to that individual buyer.

Archived