Winged Horses

Maxxine

So I recently listened to Game of Thrones on audiobook and for the first time noticed that both Dany and Jon allude to or think about having winged horses. Dany the first time she rides her silver and Jon when he is fleeing Castle Black before he is brought back. I think that Dany and Jon will be both be dragonriders, but I'm not sure who the third will be (if there is a third one), so I think it is interesting that both of these characters refer to winged horses. I didn't think it about until I listened to a Radio Westeros episode that discussed how someone who had never seen a dragon may describe one as a winged horse. So my question is does any other character have references to riding a winged horse or anything to that effect? I'm not arguing at this point that there is a correlation between winged horses and dragonriding, but I wanted to see if it's mentioned in regards to anyone besides these two characters. Could mean nothing, could be a clue. I don't know. But I thought it was interesting.

Interesting indeed.

What I could find was Tyrion talking about many winged animals:

"What if we should find the queen and discover that this talk of dragons was just some sailor's drunken fancy? This wide world is full of such mad tales. Grumkins and snarks, ghosts and ghouls, mermaids, rock goblins, winged horses, winged pigs … winged lions."

And Theon thinking about winged winged horses as a mean to escape with Jeyne:

It was not right that she should look to him for rescue. What had she been thinking, that he would whistle up a winged horse and fly her out of here, like some hero in the stories she and Sansa used to love?

18 hours ago, yomi said:

Interesting indeed.

What I could find was Tyrion talking about many winged animals:

And Theon thinking about winged winged horses as a mean to escape with Jeyne:

Well I think it's safe to say that Theon won't be claiming a dragon anytime soon (cue angry Theon fans' shouts and accusations), so this could be seen as a reference to Tyrion claiming one?

Really great catches, @Maxxine and @yomi

Is the passage you're referring to Jeor Mormont's quote?

"Unless you have a horse with wings like a raven. Do you?"

"No." Jon felt like a fool.

"Pity, we could use a horse like that."

What I like is that in this quote there's an association between the Others and winged horses here. Could this be foreshadowing that the dragons will play a role in the fight against the Others and their forces?

10 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

Really great catches, @Maxxine and @yomi

Is the passage you're referring to Jeor Mormont's quote?

What I like is that in this quote there's an association between the Others and winged horses here. Could this be foreshadowing that the dragons will play a role in the fight against the Others and their forces?

Yep that's the quote I'm talking about. his was especially interesting to me especially considering the foreshadowing of Dany fighting the Others. Also, Dany's quote was concerning the silver jumping through flames as if she had wings, which also had dragonish overtones to me.

• 1 month later...

The seahorse of House Velaryon serves as another type of "winged horse" in the story.  In addition to this, there's a Patchface prophecy concerning riding seahorses: "I will lead it. We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh!"

Not sure what this might all mean, although this prophecy is one of more confusing ones. Almost no one has come to a concensus as to what it might mean. 

Archived