how does jon claim the IT?

house of dayne

12 minutes ago, Holley 4 Barrel said:

Correct.  Jon is unfit to rule.  And if word gets out that he sent Mance Rayder to Winterfell, many lords and commons will be calling for his head. 

Ramsay knows.  But yeah, if it ever got out that Jon let Mance Rayder get off without punishment, Jon would be persona non grata just about anywhere in the kingdom.  He truly will become the lone wolf. 

I'm still hoping Jon becomes a wight and fights on the side of the Others.  He ends up getting roasted by dragonfire on the trident, per Dany's vision.

Jon has plausible deniability on Mance Rayder: when Melisandre first approached him with the proposition, it was her idea and Jon still thought the man was Rattleshirt. Jon could truthfully tell the events right up to the point when Melisandre asked him to send Rattleshirt there. (The fact that he didn't trust either Rattleshirt's ethics or his ability to do the job, was what forced Melisandre to reveal the disguise that she didn't intend to reveal to Jon at all. Jon could get away with not revealing that, and say that he agreed to the plan of Melisandre - who was not under his command - to send Rattleshirt - who was also not under his command, but was one of Stannis's prisoners under Stannis's command to serve at Castle Black, and that Melisandre - technically a free agent in Stannis's voluntary service - had been given the right to issue commands pertaining to Stannis's prisoners.

Besides I don't expect Mance to survive. I think he genuinely was captured by the Boltons, and that Ramsay wrote the Pink Letter believing its contents to be true, either he has actually killed Stannis or Stannis has managed to fake his death and fool Ramsay. And in either case - having seen the arguments between father and son - I find it quite plausible that Ramsay will murder his father and take full control of House Bolton, but it's also possible that for some reason he won't be able to use the house's official seal (perhaps it is lost, or hidden by Roose where Ramsay won't find it, or stolen by someone who wishes to deny Ramsay that particular symbol of legitimacy - maybe the house maester?) and is left with only being able to seal the letter with a blob of wax.

Archived