What are Varys and Illyrio up to

Clegane'sPup

On 11/20/2016 at 4:11 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

She never had the chance to offer them. He was drunk and full of piss and vinegar by the time she decided to give them to him. I got the feeling that getting to Vaes Dothrak and seeing her treated like royalty, while he was relegated to a follower was the final straw 

Perhaps.  Although she had been treated with high(er) regard amongst the Dothraki since her wedding to Drogo, and Dany noted that Viserys had a habit of drinking (ie got drunk with) with these merchants before. 

Even if I am wrong about Viserys learning about Aegon, I do wonder if these merchants (especially if sent by LF) didn't in fact goad him on.  

ETA: I thought Dany may have not had the chance to offer the eggs to Viserys before.  Thanks for clarifying.  

33 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Perhaps.  Although she had been treated with high(er) regard amongst the Dothraki since her wedding to Drogo, and Dany noted that Viserys had a habit of drinking (ie got drunk with) with these merchants before. 

Even if I am wrong about Viserys learning about Aegon, I do wonder if these merchants (especially if sent by LF) didn't in fact goad him on.  

ETA: I thought Dany may have not had the chance to offer the eggs to Viserys before.  Thanks for clarifying.  

Aside from drinking with merchants, there is nothing to believe anyone outside of Griff's immediate circle let the (f)Aegon cat out of the bag and there is zero to think that LF sent anyone or is even aware of the Varys/Illyrio scheme. Public news travels. Like the news of Bob's death, or the News of Dragon's hatching. But a secret would have to spill and then travel hundreds of leagues and then just happen to get to the right person. Also, if Viserys knew of an Heir above him, he would have a fit and freak out about it in a way we would see.
We can safely say that  Viserys and Littlefinger knew nothing of (f)Aegon. 

13 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Aside from drinking with merchants, there is nothing to believe anyone outside of Griff's immediate circle let the (f)Aegon cat out of the bag and there is zero to think that LF sent anyone or is even aware of the Varys/Illyrio scheme. Public news travels. Like the news of Bob's death, or the News of Dragon's hatching. But a secret would have to spill and then travel hundreds of leagues and then just happen to get to the right person. Also, if Viserys knew of an Heir above him, he would have a fit and freak out about it in a way we would see.
We can safely say that  Viserys and Littlefinger knew nothing of (f)Aegon. 

As much as I'd like to think that Aegon will surprise even LF, I'd to keep my little hunch alive. ;)

As for LF planning Viserys' death (perhaps knowing in some way that Varys was involved with the Targaryens), he knows exactly WHERE and HOW to do it as he was present in the Council Meeting during this scene:

"Mormont craves a royal pardon," Lord Renly reminded them.

"Desperately," Varys said, "yet he craves life even more. By now, the princess nears Vaes Dothrak, where it is death to draw a blade. If I told you what the Dothraki would do to the poor man who used one on a khaleesi, none of you would sleep tonight." He stroked a powdered cheek. "Now, poison … the tears of Lys, let us say. Khal Drogo need never know it was not a natural death."

Grand Maester Pycelle's sleepy eyes flicked open. He squinted suspiciously at the eunuch.

11 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

As much as I'd like to think that Aegon will surprise even LF, I'd to keep my little hunch alive. ;)

As for LF planning Viserys' death (perhaps knowing in some way that Varys was involved with the Targaryens), he knows exactly WHERE and HOW to do it as he was present in the Council Meeting during this scene:

"Mormont craves a royal pardon," Lord Renly reminded them.

"Desperately," Varys said, "yet he craves life even more. By now, the princess nears Vaes Dothrak, where it is death to draw a blade. If I told you what the Dothraki would do to the poor man who used one on a khaleesi, none of you would sleep tonight." He stroked a powdered cheek. "Now, poison … the tears of Lys, let us say. Khal Drogo need never know it was not a natural death."

Grand Maester Pycelle's sleepy eyes flicked open. He squinted suspiciously at the eunuch.

That is still an incredibly long reach. Little finger would have to get an agent to Viserys and convince him to draw down on his sister in the city. Him being a rash and impulsive and spoiled drunk makes far more sense 

Archived