Baby Driver [Film spoilers not car spoilers]

red snow

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I'm in my mid thirties and I absolutely loved Baby Driver.  I don't think many of the critics who adored the film are millenials either, but I really have no idea what the average age of a movie critic is these days. But I do find the notion it's hipsters loving it pretty annoying tbh. If anything I feel like it's the other way around...

It was just a theory. No judgement attached - just wondering if it is a film that suits a certain demographic more. Simply based on the observation most the people I know who love it are from that age group. I don't know anyone yet who hasn't enjoyed it. Good point about the critics though - most of the mainstream ones are in the older group. Mark Kermode reviews for the BBC and in fairness he has a very particular taste which he sticks to and he's still gushing over baby driver.

There must be some stats on demographics for ticket sales though. I'm genuinely interested in seeing who the film appealed to the most. Although that wouldn't tell us anything about the level of enjoyment regarding the film.

I also didn't mention hipsters specifically as I don't think there's an age group to that - it can easily encompass 20-60.  I guess if the definition of "hipster" is "someone who deliberately hates things everyone else seems to like" I can see how that definition would be something that annoys. I tend to think of it as a demographic market these days. Bristol thrives on cultivating the hipster market which is probably why people here see them more as quirky than annoying. Then again I maybe choose to dilute the definition because I know I'm a beer hipster irrespective of whether I deny it :)

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I'm in my mid thirties and I absolutely loved Baby Driver.  I don't think many of the critics who adored the film are millenials either, but I really have no idea what the average age of a movie critic is these days. But I do find the notion it's hipsters loving it pretty annoying tbh. If anything I feel like it's the other way around...

Depends on your definition of hipster in this context. I was referring to a certain type of movie fan who considers themselves to be slightly edgier than your Transformers going blockbuster viewer, but also probably not the sort to be watching obscure russian arthouse movies from the 60's. Edgar Wright has a bit of a cult following , after his cornetto trilogy (which are really not very obscure as most people seem to have seen them, and Scott Pilgrim. But he's still right on the edge of the mainstream. 

That he is a self confessed geek and that his style is highly referential of other movies only adds to his allure. 

I personally don't think his movies are quite as good as people like to make out, and as has been discussed earlier I think that its Simon Pegg (and others) who were the real brains behind the quality of his previous work. He's definitely fun visually, but has no track record of good tight storytelling. Baby Driver is no real different here, the problem is that its not even a treat for the senses either.

Archived