Most one-sided marriages?

Lord Vance II

On 31 July 2017 at 9:43 AM, devilish said:

I think we need to acknowledge a clear distinction here between two types of marriages here

a-    A marriage done when the realm is strong and stable (Apologies to our British mates). A time when the LP/Warden power is completely secure and where there’s no risk of advancement or demotion.
b-    A marriage done at a time of instability (ex war of 5 kings or during the kings of winter) or possible instability (ie after the battle of 9 penny kings, when LPs and wardens seem to have ganged up together to be able to better oppose any possible reforms done by the king)

Under choice A. Marriage is pretty much trivial. LPs/Wardens will probably use betrothal to reward the most loyal banner men (a sort of medieval version of employee reward scheme) or simply to boost their fertility rate.

Under choice B. Betrothal become more complex and the wrong betrothal can cost the house’s future. We all know how Cat flipped when Robb married a Westerling instead within a more powerful family, that despite both being noble houses. I also think that Robert would have never became king if Rhaegar married Cersei or even Lyanna (both houses could raise more troops then Dorne) instead of Elia.

So if we're using choice B mentality/circumstances to judge choice A then yes Locke marriage was indeed one sided same as Joanna's. I doubt Lady Tarbeck would have dared going toe to toe against the Lannisters if Tywin happened to be married to a Tyrell instead to his cousin. A 70k combined army can act as a very strong disincentive. 

The Tarbecks rebelled before Tywin married Joanna, so Tywin hadn't even formed alliances when the Tarbecks and Reyne's rebelled. So that means Tywin married Joanna either because he was generally interested in her, or to unite two branches of their house.

we also don't know the circumstances of why Edwyln Stark married a Locke, for the loyalty of their house, friendship, or just because he was interested/in love with her?

22 minutes ago, WeKnowNothing said:

The Tarbecks rebelled before Tywin married Joanna, so Tywin hadn't even formed alliances when the Tarbecks and Reyne's rebelled. So that means Tywin married Joanna either because he was generally interested in her, or to unite two branches of their house.

we also don't know the circumstances of why Edwyln Stark married a Locke, for the loyalty of their house, friendship, or just because he was interested/in love with her?

I was speaking in general mate. Lets say that Tytos or Tywin were married to a Tyrell. Do you think that the Tarbecks would rebel against them? I seriously doubt that.

2 hours ago, devilish said:

I was speaking in general mate. Lets say that Tytos or Tywin were married to a Tyrell. Do you think that the Tarbecks would rebel against them? I seriously doubt that.

ASFAIK, Tytos was married to a Marbrand was he not? I think it was Jenye Marbrand - her house is a western house, who are bannermen to House Lannister. So again, we have a Lannister who only married a bannermans daughter. 

Sure, maybe there wouldnt have been a Tarbeck and Renye rebellion - but then that would only be if Tytos or Tywin married a Tyrell in the first place. Which would have been unlikely since at that time, they didn't really marry other Lord paramount's sons/daughters.The evidence we have seem to go towards the belief that Gerold arranged Tytos's marriage for him, meaning Tytos would only have married a bannermans daughter, which we know he did.

Archived