Casting the Movie Continued

Lyanna Stark-Targaryen

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, we make suggestions because it's a matter of fine-tuning. It's not that Jason Isaac's isn't great for the role of Euron, but that there *might* be someone out there who's better, and if he were just suggested, we'd all slap our foreheads and say, "Duh... of course he's better!"

Crispin Glover! :lol:

sorry I'm on a Glover kick..there's gotta be a creepy role for him somewhere in the novel..slide him in as one of Euron's freaky men :P

About the learning English thing...I like Matt, I do, but I like the French one better. And Gaspard does speak English, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do an accent for Jon Snow. As you pointed out we are just assuming that the Americans and Canadians can do the right accent, so why can't we assume that the French can?

Because Americans and Canadians already speak English as their first language! Yes Gaspard can speak English but it's still his second language and no-one is ever as comfortable in a second language as they are in their first.

But accents aside, Gaspard just doesn't look like Jon to me. As others have said, he's too pretty. I personally find Matt Smith far more attractive but looking at them objectively I can see that Gaspard is prettier. But I don't care if he's more fanciable because that's not Jon! Popular with the female readers though he may be, Jon is not beautiful.

He also doesn't look like the rest of the Starks (not just in terms of his facial features being different but he also has a very Gallic look to him - which makes sense, as he's French - while Lyanna and Arya, who Jon is supposed to resemble, look very English) but he does look like Jonathan Rhys Meyers (and Crispin Glover!!!), and a Jon who looks more like Theon than Arya is just wrong! He has a weird chin, too. And with those cold, pale eyes (which are so not Jon) I can't see any trace of the young, naive kid who went off to the wall, while I also worry that he'd look too chilling as Jon matures. I don't think Jon should have a cold look in his eyes when he does something like take Gilly's baby from her, he should look like a young man with the weight of the world on his shoulders who's having to make horribly hard decisions.

Maybe Ulliel could do it, I don't know. But as all I've seen of him is Hannibal Lecter while I've seen Matt play Thomas Beckett (and make me cry while doing it!) I find it a helluva lot easier to imagine Matt as Jon.

Size wise I think Matt is better too, being taller and looking more slender.

And I have to post this again:

Amok's portrait of Jon and Matt Smith

The proportions of the face are the same. The eyes, the lips, the nose are all the same. The jawline is the same. Give Matt a bit more hair down the sides and even that's the same!

I was thinking about accents for the Free Cities, and I think a good idea would be to pick a country for each of them. For example, Myr could be represented by Italians, or people from Lys could be Dutch. That way each of the Free Cities would have a distinctive accent.

Yes, I like that idea. So if we go for Myr as Italy we need an Italian actress to play Taena. Hmmm.

Maria Grazia Cuccinotta is pretty hot.

Or Caterina Murino perhaps.

Oh, he deserves more than that...what about him as Polliver?

Ooooh, I like it! :D

The Ironmen are NOT Welsh. The Ironmen represent the Danelaw during the time of the Heptarchy, which is why they are written as being so similar to Vikings. The Vale is the representation of Wales. The clans from the mountains of the moon would represent the Celtic remnants of Wales (The Ordovices, The Silures, and the Gangani).

Yes, the Iron Islands as Danelaw also works (though as it didn't come into existence until the 9th century it wasn't part of the original Heptarchy). Wales just works politically with the separation from England/Ironmen's desire to be separate from the rest of Westeros.

So who do you think we should cast?

Yes, the Iron Islands as Danelaw also works (though as it didn't come into existence until the 9th century it wasn't part of the original Heptarchy). Wales just works politically with the separation from England/Ironmen's desire to be separate from the rest of Westeros.

So who do you think we should cast?

The Heptarchy analogy, like all analogies, is imperfect. Of course, the Wars of the Roses doesn't take place during the time of the Heptarchy either.

It is a big story with a cast of thousands but my own cast list featured:

Dwayne Johnson for Khal Drogo (the part is small).

Sean Connery as Jeor Mormont.

James Cromwell as Maester Aemon Targaryen

Catherine Dent (with forced perspective) as Brienne of Tarth

Linda Hunt as Olenna Tyrell

Keira Knightley as Meera Reed

Ian McDiarmid as Walder Frey

Rosario Dawson as Alayaya

Sigourney Weaver as Selyse Baratheon

James Marsters as Petyr Baelish

Ewan McGregor as Edmure Tully

Rutger Hauer as Tywin Lannister

Alison Doody as Cersei Lannister-Baratheon

I could see James Cromwell as Maester Aemon (though we have him as Jon Arryn) and Rosario Dawson as Alayaya. Alison Doody is a pretty good choice for Cersei too, though I think Tricia Helfer is sexier! Have you had a look at Lyanna's site?

I could see James Cromwell as Maester Aemon (though we have him as Jon Arryn) and Rosario Dawson as Alayaya. Alison Doody is a pretty good choice for Cersei too, though I think Tricia Helfer is sexier! Have you had a look at Lyanna's site?

Actually I have. There are some really good choices there.

@Lightsnake, Rutger with mutton-chops looks an awful lot like Amok's illustration.

The Sand Snakes we have now really beat those out. Better looking, more suited to the characters and, by far, better actresses

Very subjective there.

I consider neither Monica Bellucci nor Liv Tyler to be particularly talented. Monica still has noticeable difficulty with English. Haven't seen enough of Sophia Myles or Robin Weigert to make a determination about their abilities.

Sophia Myles is a terrific actress and so is Liv Tyler. Both have the great looks for the sand Snakes.

And Monica Bellucci's not a good actress? Irreversible? Under Suspicion? Tears of the Sun? The Passion? Monica Bellucci's role doesn't require much talking, either

Liv Tyler's not? Jersey Girl, Armageddon, Stealing Beauty, Hevay, Plunkett and MacLeane...not seeing the complaint. She's an extremely beautiful actress with noticeable talent and range and for the role, she's definitely the superior choice

And again: Rutger plays more of a lively, harsh man than Tywin's cold and calculating figure that Ed Harris would work better as.

I think we're good with the Sand Snakes as is. And James Marsters is way, way too old for Petyr. He's showing it too. Ioan Gruffud has the sharp features that Petyr does and the cunning

Because Americans and Canadians already speak English as their first language! Yes Gaspard can speak English but it's still his second language and no-one is ever as comfortable in a second language as they are in their first.

But some of the worst offenders for bad accents are Americans. Tom Cruise in Far and Away, Brad Pitt in The Devils Own, Keanu Reeves in Dracula, Dick Van Dyke as a cockney. All English speaking actors, but not English as we know it. :)

And yet Jodie Foster is in a film with Gaspard in French, speaking French, with a flawless French accent. So I guess it is just something people can do, or not do.

Matt might have done a lot of theatre work but there is nothing about him on the internet and the only pictures we have are yours, so its harder to picture him in the role. I watched Ruby in the smoke, but that was in a turkey haze, so I'm struggling to remember him now.

Gaspard has done a quite a few films, they seem to love him in France, and is a rising star over here. And there are plenty of pictures of him and stuff on youtube of his acting.

Totally disagree with you about acting ability. Are they better than Shannon Elizabeth, very probably. Are they noticeably better than Catherine Bell, not really. I'm not saying either is a bad actress, but let's not drastically overstate their abilities.

Also, I'd point out that there are more than four sand snakes.

While I have no problem with Ed Harris as Tywin, I chose Rutger because he fit the Height and stature requirements. I'd also disagree that Tywin is not lively or harsh at times. Though I will say that Rutger seems to have aged about 15 years in the last 5.

Edward Norton and Michael Rosenbaum were my second and third choices for Petyr.

Sophia Myles is a terrific actress and so is Liv Tyler. Both have the great looks for the sand Snakes.

And Monica Bellucci's not a good actress? Irreversible? Under Suspicion? Tears of the Sun? The Passion? Monica Bellucci's role doesn't require much talking, either

Liv Tyler's not? Jersey Girl, Armageddon, Stealing Beauty, Hevay, Plunkett and MacLeane...not seeing the complaint. She's an extremely beautiful actress with noticeable talent and range and for the role, she's definitely the superior choice

And again: Rutger plays more of a lively, harsh man than Tywin's cold and calculating figure that Ed Harris would work better as.

I think we're good with the Sand Snakes as is. And James Marsters is way, way too old for Petyr. He's showing it too. Ioan Gruffud has the sharp features that Petyr does and the cunning

Most of the time, tywin is a very calm, controlled person. Rutger doesn't play that as much as he does vicious and sadistic in a role like Tywin.

Moreover, yes, I'd say the sand Snakes we have are better than the ones you suggested. Tyler as Nymeriah Sand has had lots of support: She's supposed to be pale, noble, dark haired and strong willed. Liv Tyleria fits that well. Monica Bellucci fits Ellaria Sand to a T and Sophia Myles is absolutely perfect as Tyene.

They also happen to look the parts more and fit it better. Moreover, Catherine Bell is far out of the age range....nor does she look a thing like a Sand Snake. Ten years seems a good way to set it and that's a bit extreme. Bell is pushing forty, Tyler and Myles are relatively young actresses and the Sand Snakes are relatively close to them in age, as well as description

Have you checked Monica Bellucci's age recently? She's 4 years older than Bell. Yes, Ellaria isn't technically a sand snake but that's where she's grouped. Amoka's illustration is as close to Catherine Bell (particularly the jaw-line) as it is to Monica Bellucci.

You seem to have a very static concepts of actors and actresses. Rutger does have some range as an actor. Ed Harris may very well be a better choice, my list was composed well before this list (and probably the last 4 or 5 times this topic has come up); however, that does not mean Rutger was an unfit choice.

Most of the time, tywin is a very calm, controlled person. Rutger doesn't play that as much as he does vicious and sadistic in a role like Tywin.

Moreover, yes, I'd say the sand Snakes we have are better than the ones you suggested. Tyler as Nymeriah Sand has had lots of support: She's supposed to be pale, noble, dark haired and strong willed. Liv Tyleria fits that well. Monica Bellucci fits Ellaria Sand to a T and Sophia Myles is absolutely perfect as Tyene.

They also happen to look the parts more and fit it better. Moreover, Catherine Bell is far out of the age range....nor does she look a thing like a Sand Snake. Ten years seems a good way to set it and that's a bit extreme. Bell is pushing forty, Tyler and Myles are relatively young actresses and the Sand Snakes are relatively close to them in age, as well as description

Archived