Casting the Movie Continued

Lyanna Stark-Targaryen

I don't recall how tall he is but he's certainly got a slight and lean build, which Bruce Campbell definitely hasn't. I think Campbell is too much of a cool, cult figure to be Randyll - you want to cheer whenever he comes on screen! Whoever plays Randyll needs to be genuinely unlikeable otherwise Sam could end up coming across as a bit of a whiner.

So yes, Robert Carlyle would indeed be awesome!

Have you seen The Queen? Or The Deal? Or Wilde? What is so comical about Michael Sheen?!

Anyway ... Brienne.

How about 6'0" Kathryn Stockwood? She played Patty, aka 'The Giant' in Sorority Boys, which is a dreadful film (I've only seen it cos I love Michael Rosenbaum!) but she was good in it.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Tall, fairly broad, looks suitably ridiculous in pink and while by no means ugly she's certainly not a typical Hollywood beauty. And she doesn't look creepy! :D

5'9 is not short it's just about average height. Ned is about 5'10 and Jon will end up being about the same height maybe an Inch taller. They are not described as short.

Where did the height guide go anyway? Did we lose it when we moved to this board I haven't seen it in awhile but then again I haven't looked for it.

From Rheagars Son on the old forum. Don't want to read everything in that thread they may have decided the heights were wrong but I'll link it here. IF anyone wants too look.

The Unusually Large:

Giants: 10'-14'

Gregor Clegane: between 7'6" and 8' (closer to 8 than 7)--30 stone

Ser Duncan the Tall: 7'

The Greatjon Umber: 7'

Left & Right: 7'

Hodor: 6'11"

The Smalljon Umber: 6'10" (will soon pass his father in height)

Sandor Clegane: 6'8"or 6'9"

Titan's Bastard: 6'7"

Greenbeard: 6'7"

Ser Lucas Inchfield (Longinch): 6'7"

Robert Baratheon: 6'6"

Brienne of Tarth: 6'6"

Osmund Kettleblack: 6'6"

Polliver: 6'6"

Lem Lemoncloak: 6'6"

Khal Drogo: 6'6"

Stannis Baratheon: 6'5"

Renly Baratheon: 6'4"

Ser Garlen: similar hieght to renly 6'3"

Melisandre: 6'1"

Selyse Baratheon: 6'4" (described as tall as her husband)

Jaime Lannister: 6'3"

Dacey Mormont: 6'

Joffrey Baratheon 6'+ (height cut short on his wedding day)

Average Knights:5'11"-6'1"

Ser Ilyn Payne

The Tickler

Mance Raydar

Merrett

Anguy

Other Important Characters:

Brandon Stark (Ned's brother): 6'

Roose Bolton: 5'11"

Robb Stark: 5'11"

Ned Stark: 5'10"

Theon Greyjoy: 5'10"

Osha:5'10"

Cersei Lannister:5'10"

Asha Greyjoy:5'9"

Jon Snow: 5'9"

Catelyn Stark: 5'8"

Sansa Stark: 5'8" (final approx. very similar to Cat in many ways)

Lysa Arryn:5'7"

Petyr Baelish (Littlefinger):5'6"

Tom o' Sevens: 5'6"

Maege Mormont: 5'5"

Daenerys Targaryen: 5'3

Arya Stark: 5'3 (approximated final height)

Ygritte: 5'3"

Shae: 5'

Lady Rohanne Webber (The Red Widow):4'11"

Queen of Thorns: 4'9" (portrayed as a small woman)

Meera and Jojen Reed: 4'7"

Tyrion Lannister: 3'10" or 3'11"

Ghost of High Heart: 2'10" or 2'11"

Castles, Walls, Pyramids, etc.

Winterfell: Outer Wall: 80'; Inner Wall:110'; (with large moat between)

Storm's End: Curtain Wall: 100' high (ranging from 40' to 80' thick)

Oldtown: Hightower Lighthouse: 700'

Qarth:Wall1: 30'; Wall 2: 40'; Wall 3 50'; "slim towers": >850'

Meereen: Wall: taller than Astopor or Yunkai; Great Pyramid: 800', w/ Harpy 850'

The Wall: 700' high, 300 miles long

Objects

Horn of Winter: 8' along the curve

Animals

Coldhand's Elk: 10' at the shoulders...14' w/ head, 20' at antlers' tips

Direwolf Mother: bigger than Bran's pony and twice the size of the largest hound in the kennel.

FYI

1 meter = 3.28 feet

1 foot = 30.48 centimeter

1 inch = 2.54 centimeter

1 stone = 14 pounds

For Randyl Tarly... you need someone physically larger than Robert Carlyle. He's got to have a big enough frame that he could conceivably sire someone like Sam... My previous recommendation is Sam Shepard. He's big, and can play a badass. :)

I'd second that. Reading through the Brienne where Randyl is 'on screen' there isn't actually a physical description beyond what he's wearing namely boiled leather, chainmail and 'Heartbane' on his swordbelt. Having said that RT's overly martial nature (leading the Tyrell van and his love of hunting) rather suggests he is of at least a very imposing athelitic build if not muscular. Robert Carlyle in contrast is short and somewhat skinny, the characters that immediately came into my mind to cast him as were Petyr Baelish or Davos Seaworth. In fact consider those suggestions!

Martin Sheen well his turn as Tony Blair is excellent... but because of that I would hate to see him play Littlefinger. Regardless of who plays Baelish the audience will inevitably think of Tony Blair (who is arguably our generation's ultimate personification of political sliminess as Littlefinger is Westoros'es), Martin Sheen playing Petyr Baelish after his fame protraying Blair would only make this too obvious.

Incidently I've always thought James McAvoy who was a placeholder for the role was an inspired casting for Baelish!

With Littlefinger I like Stuart Townsend or James McAvoy..I think Ioan Grufford is a great actor but I find his build a little too big for Littlefinger.

Townsend I like cause he can be witty and a bit annoying but still seem non-threatening and that's kind of Littlefinger's MO.

Doesn't Jaime have a pretty long reminisce about the Blackfish (idolizing even), which I think includes Brynden telling Jaime of his exploits in the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

I think it went like this: Jaime remembers going to deliver a message to Hoster Tully, who wanted him to pay attention to Lysa, but Jaime was more interested in the Blackfish, who was famous for his part in the Ninepenny Kings by then. There was no dialogue written, it was more a recollection than a flashback. Hardly something that needs to be in the movie.

Why are we saying Movie anyway. IMO this just could not work as a movie or series of movies. I think the best way would be the HBO 12 eps mini-series for each Book. This is not LOTR it is far more like B5.

Why are we saying Movie anyway. IMO this just could not work as a movie or series of movies. I think the best way would be the HBO 12 eps mini-series for each Book. This is not LOTR it is far more like B5.

I think we just say movie cause of the title of the thread..yes obviously to be done well ASOIAF would have to be an HBO TV Series.

It would be Rome-esqe in scale.

I think some of us agreed to oust Elliot for Brynden...James McAvoy seems best for Littlefinger, is what I'd say.

My suggestion for Catelyn is Kate Winslet...as for Randyll Tarly, I like Carlyle a lot. He's tough, lean and vicious when he wants to be. In Ravenous, he's solidly built, too...a veteran soldier

5'9 is not short it's just about average height. Ned is about 5'10 and Jon will end up being about the same height maybe an Inch taller. They are not described as short.

No it's not short in real life but it is in relation to the other actors. We have a 6'6" Robert, if we go for Henry Ian Cusick as Ned he's 6'0", both Kate Winslet and Natascha McElhone are 5'8" so put either of them in heels and they're taller than him.

And I think Michael Sheen (not Martin - he's the president!) is better known by most people for being in Underworld. Besides, with a beard he won't look like Tony Blair anymore.

James McAvoy is wonderful (and only 5'7"!) but is he old enough? He just turned 27 yesterday and he's still playing students. He looks quite markedly younger than the rest of the actors of that generation whereas Littlefinger is only a few years younger than them. I think a proper thirtysomething Petyr will make the Cat obsession make more sense and the Sansa obsession even creepier.

As for the changes, I like Caterina Murino as Taena, Robert Carlyle as Randyll, Natascha McElhone as Catelyn and either Matt Smith (yay Matt!) or Darcia's suggestion of Jonathan Bailey as Jon. Not the pretty French boy!

Anyone have any opinion on Kathryn Stockwood as Brienne?

James McAvoy is wonderful (and only 5'7"!) but is he old enough? He just turned 27 yesterday and he's still playing students. He looks quite markedly younger than the rest of the actors of that generation whereas Littlefinger is only a few years younger than them. I think a proper thirtysomething Petyr will make the Cat obsession make more sense and the Sansa obsession even creepier.

Littlefinger should look markedly younger than the rest of his generation and how old he actually is - that is how he's described in AGoT in which he's 29 ("still shy of thirty") rather than thirtysomething. Here's a few quotes from the Catelyn chapter in which he appears that reinforce this.

P167 "Littlefinger," she murmured. His face swam up before her; a boy's face, though he was a boy no longer."

And P172 "The years had not changed him much. Petyr had been a small boy, and he had grown into a small man, an inch or two shorter than Catelyn, slender and quick, with the sharp features she remembered and the same laughing grey-green eyes."

I think the main difference with Petyr Baelish's appearance from when he fought Brandon Stark at 15 and the events of AGoT is that he has grown that silly little beard (possibly to make up somewhat for looking embarassingly like a teenager) and has flecks of grey in his hair. Physically he hasn't really changed at all, of course his nature is a completely different story...

James McAvoy is probably therefore if anything more appropriate for Littlefinger than an older actor. As for him doing mature roles there is his casting as the title role in the BBC 'Shakespeare updated's version of Macbeth and I reckon the part he's playing in 'The Last King of Scotland' is worth a look too.

Okay... some additional suggestions (all new ones...)

Another possibility for the Blackfish (since y'all don't seem to like Elliott that much) would be Tim Allen. About the right age, stature, and look. He's played mostly goofy in the past, but with scattered serious roles. The important thing is that he's done well in those serious roles.

I've taken a close look at the faces, and the the following make a believable Tully family: Sean Bean (Edmure), Kirstie Alley (Lysa), Tim Allen (Brynden), Jodie Foster (Catelyn), and Charlton Heston (Hoster).

Also, while we're on the subject of Eddard Stark, here's another possibility: Bryan Cranston. Best known for his role as the dad in 'Malcolm in the Middle', the guy is actually a full-ranged actor... and he's good. Take a look at that photo... I think he'd do well. As an alternate to William Moseley (who didn't impress me at all in 'Narnia'), consider Jonathan Taylor Thomas. He was always a better actor than Moseley... and he looks the part as well. Before you judge from 'Home Improvement', he's aged a bit, and filled out some. He's now got the broader build Robb needs, and he looks the part. Take a close look at that capture (from a 2005 appearance).

The following also make good Starks (though I haven't finished them yet): Hugh Jackman (Brandon), Keira Knightley (Lyanna), Bryan Cranston (Eddard), Ron Livingston (Benjen). I also noticed that Freddy Highmore (currently cast as Bran) is 5'6"... methinks he might be a bit tall...

Finally, I still haven't gotten a chance to see Tricia Helfer yet, but I caught Ali Larter on 'Heroes' last night (for the first time), and she both looked the part, and could act the part... split personality character doing both caring mother and cold, heartless, ambitious, bitch. My new nominee. :)

Also... that table of heights... yikes. I'm not sure where those numbers come from, but they seem, for many, somewhat over-exaggerated. Selyse Florent = 6'4"??? Did Stannis say she was his height, or just that she was tall? Tall, for a woman, could be 5'8"...

There's a bunch of them that I'm not going to comment on... don't have the time, or the texts. However, I will note that Brienne isn't on that list. I was under the impression that she was on a height with Renly... putting her at just over 6'.

Archived