Shouldn’t it be the War of the Six Kings?

Canon Claude

On 28/10/2017 at 10:47 PM, Reekazoid said:

Here in the US we talk about the War of 1812.  We fought against  the British in a few places.  It was important to our country, but  little  more than a nuisance to the British Empire, and nothing more than a blip against the backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars. Now those wars had massive implications worldwide.

I'm as patriotic a US citizen as any Wull or Norrey is a patriotic Northerner, but if I'm honest, the war of 1812 was really a side note, as was the invasion of the King Beyond the Wall.  Any Brits  in here ever hear about the War of 1812? Any French,  Dutch, or Belgians?

Of course.....but only when I read US History at univesity.  We sailed up the Potomac and burned Washington (sorry!) and then Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans after a peace treaty had been made that neither force in the field knew about.

It is of course fair to say that the main area of concern for Britain was Napoleonic France, the super power of the day, but there were military operations in the North American theatre for years. 

The Wildlings don't even come close to being as much of a sideshow to the war for the IT as the NA theatre was in the Napoleonic wars: the NW, all of a few hundred of them, hold back the Wildlings with no support from the Crown or the Warden of the North until Stannis, who comes North to fight the Others not Mance Raydar, defeats the wildings and scatters them in one brief skirmish.  Mance plays no more part in the War of the 5K than Dany, which is to say none, and makes no claims to kingship over any part of the 7K.

2 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Of course.....but only when I read US History at univesity.  We sailed up the Potomac and burned Washington (sorry!) and then Jackson won the Battle of New Orleans after a peace treaty had been made that neither force in the field knew about.

It is of course fair to say that the main area of concern for Britain was Napoleonic France, the super power of the day, but there were military operations in the North American theatre for years. 

The Wildlings don't even come close to being as much of a sideshow to the war for the IT as the NA theatre was in the Napoleonic wars: the NW, all of a few hundred of them, hold back the Wildlings with no support from the Crown or the Warden of the North until Stannis, who comes North to fight the Others not Mance Raydar, defeats the wildings and scatters them in one brief skirmish.  Mance plays no more part in the War of the 5K than Dany, which is to say none, and makes no claims to kingship over any part of the 7K.

I *did* say it was an imperfect analogy...  B)But  it seems we agree that Mance's side gig wasn't enough justification to increment the scalar value of the numeric component of the name of the war. 

12 hours ago, Reekazoid said:

I *did* say it was an imperfect analogy...  B)But  it seems we agree that Mance's side gig wasn't enough justification to increment the scalar value of the numeric component of the name of the war. 

Oh, sure.  I was agreeing with you and then expounding on Mance not being part of the war of the 5K.

Archived