Westeros M2:TW mod

Marcus

That link doesn't work, and I believe the main discussion should remain here. For one, nothing official is on that site. Two, we;re not likely to attract any new interest if we move. I suggest using that for the decided information, but leaving the discussions here. That allows for input from people browsing the forums. If we moved over there, it would only be the input of the select group we have now.

:agree: Plus, it doesn't require us to sign up with yet another board...

On another note, Chewie mentioned various stats (HP, dread, etc.)... is there a list of what traits there are, and what effect they have? I can't be of much help with assigning types to various towns/castles, but I might be a bit more handy in assigning/balancing traits...

Also, are there other topics that need discussion coming up? (I'd like to help... just fishing for ways in which to do it... :) )

I agree with Marcus, we should remain here. Traits, as I saw on TWC, can be modded (I'm no coder though). My opinion, let's finish what we started first:

1. The map, and it's on its way (Chewie does a good job).

2. We have started here units discussion.

We were discussing Peasant units, because every faction has them. After that, we will take one faction at the time and talk about its strenght and weakness, what units it should have and what shouldn't (also bonus like moral or experience). We want to make this mod as realistic as possible.

There are two ways this mod could have ended up -- slapped together with a new map and some faction names, or the way your team is approaching it -- careful thought applied to all the details and an honest attempt to make a real-feeling simulation of Westeros.

We're trying...

The mod team can suggest what direction they want to go with discussion, but if we're moving on to faction unit lists, I would suggest discussing the mainland Andal factions first, since they will have a great deal in common, instead of one by one:

Tully

Lannister

King Joffrey

Tyrell

King Renly

Arryn

Obviously, they mimic fairly closely to MII:TW Western European models -- France, HRE, England stock units. The choices are where they should vary, what kind of unique units should they have, or what they would empasize.

Since Stannis is so dependent on foreign mercenaries, his unit list will probably look quite different, as would the Dornish and to a lesser degree the North.

ETA: The Arryns. Oversight.

Well, I think - release the map first, go step by step. But Marcus is the one, who has all the information.

I guess, I won't reveal any secrets by saying that Lannisters won't be the first (actual for today).

@Ser Bazzlebane

we, actually, were talking about different unit costs and upkeeps too (for example), depending on the faction.

Link works fine for me. And yes, that site would be useful for putting up finalised information, but discussion should remain here and at TWCenter. Spreading ourselves and the discussion over several boards isn't a great idea and would be too headache-inducing.

Well, from looking at the FAUST table, it seems that most of the above would be a combination of English and HRE, as Ser Baz suggested. I'd think that Highgarden would be more akin to France, with the emphasis on heavy cavalry... and perhaps Milan would be a good fit for Joffrey's King's Landing (FAUST describes Milan as strong militia infantry and crossbowmen, but poor offensive cavalry, which seems right... Venice might be another option, given the relatively strong navy possessed by the Crown prior to the Blackwater and during AFfC).

Well, if you look at the lists, many factions share units. For example every time you see Chivalric Knights, it's the same unit over again with a new skin. Same for all the other units that bear the same name, so picking a faction "venice" for example, doesn't prove much when we can go much beyond that in selecting units.

We can do this one of two ways. We can compile all we know about the mainland Andal factions, figure out difference, similarities, etc. and assign from there.

Or, we could do Lannister first, set a base roster, and go from there. As Ran's said, the Lannisters could very plausibly have access to every mainland unit any other faction could muster, for a price. We could go through the FAUST list and toss out any units we'll never use, to form a list that all factions will draw from. Then build each faction from here. I would probably favour this one, but then again, perhaps I didn't explain it as well as is it in my head...Thoughts?

Marcus, I'd go with the latter approach. We should compile a list of only the units that should be reasonably available somewhere in ASOIAF (tossing the gunpowder, elephants, etc.). Then go through and determine which the Andal factions should have access to, and then which should be specialized units...

Gunpowder's already been removed, except for ships and elephants. Ships can be edited to remove gunpowder, but the other units have models with guns, so they're of no use. Cannons are certainly gone, but elephants have to be kept for Wildling purposes. Other than that, go for it.

That link doesn't work, and I believe the main discussion should remain here. For one, nothing official is on that site. Two, we;re not likely to attract any new interest if we move. I suggest using that for the decided information, but leaving the discussions here. That allows for input from people browsing the forums. If we moved over there, it would only be the input of the select group we have now.

Any work being done on shifting the information onto a wiki for easy viewing and editing?

A simple scratchpad wiki should surrfice. Even though it would result in registering for yet another site, I think the advantages it offers to a collaborative project make it worthwhile.

Oh, wow. I just received M2:TW over Xmas and one of the first things I thought of (after "holy CRAP look at the system requirements!") was, "Someone could make a really kick-ass ASOIAF mod with this". And lo and behold, I find this thread. Looks like you guys are on the right track so far. I can't wait to play this thing. I'll try to hang around here to see if there's anything I can't help with.

Archived