Why do people dislike Stannis?

Frey Kings

10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Because he is trying to steal his cousin's rightful throne. Hopefully she will have Drogon roast his ass when she gets to Westeros/

Daenerys has never been on the throne (or the mainland of Westeros), so she's not the one he's trying to steal from now. At most, he helped steal it from her family during Robert's Rebellion. The Golden Company has more recently tried to get her to help them seize the throne, but she's focused on Essos for now. For his own part, Stannis is busy with the North after failing to seize the throne from the Lannisters.

12 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Because he is trying to steal his cousin's rightful throne. Hopefully she will have Drogon roast his ass when she gets to Westeros/

Right on.  Stannis would have murdered little Viserys and the infant Daenerys if he had caught them on Dragonstone long ago.  I see no reason whatsoever for Daenerys to show mercy to Stannis.  I would offer to let him take the black.  That is the only way he gets to avoid becoming charcoal pellets.

I don't hate Stannis, I find him fascinating as a character. His mentality in general is interesting. I mean, I don't think he's totally this stone-cold asshole. He does express genuine remorse over Renly's death and seems extremely stressed and upset afterwards(difficulty sleeping, nightmares). He seems capable of affections(expressing that he missed Davos) and overall his thinking seems to be odd in a way I find intriguing. It's very black-and-white, very rule oriented and doesn't seem to express much emotional bias.

It's interesting to look at him and compare him to the other Baratheon brothers. Renly and Robert are very similar. Renly is a childish man fond of anything bright and shiny(the way he dresses, how much he traveled with, decking out his kingsguard in rainbow). Robert is also rather self-indulgent, drowning himself in sex, booze, and women with little regard for himself or others. 

On 6/14/2018 at 9:20 PM, The Coonster said:

Right on.  Stannis would have murdered little Viserys and the infant Daenerys if he had caught them on Dragonstone long ago.

What evidence is there for this? We know he was willing to burn Edric Storm, but that was after Melisandre persuaded him that R'hllor would use such a sacrifice to help him win the war, and she wasn't around during Robert's Rebellion. Tywin killed Rhaegar's children because it was something he could do (although he didn't openly take responsibility) and Robert couldn't. Stannis might not have had the same heroic image as Robert, but he was no Tywin and having Robert's heir (at the time) accused of that would be politically undesirable.

Archived