Sign in to follow this  
Martell Spy

U.S. Politics: Hey! Teachers! Leave Them Kids Alone

4 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

'Nice way' of saying "well it sucked for people like you before, so it's not the end of the world.". Nice, pal.  You're a real fucking charmer.  

Everybody chill out, they haven't come for white dudes yet.

The kicker is he can't even get his head around why these people are a little more alarmed and angry than he is, nor why they don't want to try his strategy of "lets keep letting the Republicans do whatever they like to us and say thank you afterwards, because thats civil."

I can't even wrap my head around how someone can think you're going to get GOP senators to stall out the SCOTUS nomination. If you managed to actually get that to happen you'd probably get a Dem vote to get the confirmation through just to show how civil they are taking the high road.

Also, on the burgeoning US-China trade war, looks like Trump is backing down:

After weeks of anticipation, President Donald Trump has decided to back down from a hard-hitting policy that would sharply restrict Chinese investment in the US — opting to work with Congress on a more modest measure instead. [...]

The goal is to make it harder for China to acquire important technology used to manufacture things like robotics, aerospace and aviation equipment, clean energy cars, and medical equipment. Experts say China currently sees buying technology from American companies as a key strategy for developing its own manufacturing capacities.

But Trump is now refraining from going down that path. Instead, he’s going to allow new legislation moving through Congress to enhance the currently-existing review process for foreign investment in US companies.

It seems that Trump’s sudden change of heart is due to the influence of US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, who has won out over China hawks in the White House like trade adviser Peter Navarro. Mnuchin has been trying to persuade the president to take a more careful approach to prodding Beijing into changing some of its controversial trade and investment practices.

To the bolded, seems like someone suggested recently that may happen...

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

If you managed to actually get that to happen you'd probably get a Dem vote to get the confirmation through just to show how civil they are taking the high road.

It's entirely possible the three Dem Senators that voted for Gorsuch will do the same for Kennedy's replacement - particularly with Donnelly and Heitkamp that are likely in more electoral peril than Manchin.  Although I wouldn't put it passed the latter either because he really doesn't give a shit about Roe v. Wade - and West Virginia is one of the 7 states with only one abortion clinic.

Edited by DMBouazizi
Clarity

@chiKanery et al.

First they came for the Muslims, but I stayed civil, because I'm not a Muslim.

Then they came for the refugee children, but I stayed civil, because I'm not from Central America.

Then they came for the people of color but I stayed civil, because I am white.

Then they came for me, but there was noone left to become uncivil on my behalf.

Fight, Tywin. Fight for your life.

@Everybody else: As discouraging as this is, you still have one chance at at least restricting Trump. It's the very last one: Vote in the midterms. Get your liberal friends to vote, too. Check you're actually registered to vote beforehand. Don't let the Republicans get away with this without massive losses in the house (and hopefully, Senate) at the very least.

5 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the Republicans let blue states keep abortion. Because they are hypocrites and might need it for some of their own - without having to go to Canada or Europe. Or simply because they might not want to fight very liberal states like California head-on. And they can always mumble something about "States' rights" to feel good about it.

I doubt it. The folks driving the anti-choice animus within the Republican Party only compromise tactically - they want a total abortion ban in the US, and Republicans have brought up national level abortion restrictions before. They're not going to settle permanently for "only" having abortion being legal in "blue" states, and I strongly suspect support for a national abortion ban would become mandatory for surviving a primary for any congressional Republicans aside from a handful of moderates in New England.