How did the rumors about Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne start?

Angel Eyes

14 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Doesn't matter if he was the lord or not back then. If he wasn't he was the heir.

Probably, though we don't know that either. That still doesn't mean it was an official story he was told due to his position (even if he was the Lord already) as opposed to servants gossip.

So, Daynes don't have a version of the story that they want people to believe? 

I don't know. I didn't address that. No information we have addresses that. This may be the story they want people to believe, it may just be gossip.

Moreover he lets the household run around spreading tales about his dead sister and not once has Allyria asked to him about Ashara? Nor Edric, if his father was still alive when he was old enough to ask?

He 'lets' them?
He is a child. Or at least he was when he heard the story. Even now, he may be Lord, but he's Beric's squire and probably hasn't lived at Starfall for years. Someone else runs Starfall on his behalf.

And why would he want to stop these tales, even if he could (could Bran, when he was running Winterfell in Robb's absence?
Why would Allyra ask him about Ashara? He's her little brother who knows less than she does!

Same would apply for the Starfall, more so in fact since this is where Ashara lived and died.

Which pretty much proves my point. Its a castle, there is gossip, things are said and other people hear them. Ned Stark had a huge reason to stop that particular gossip, and his reaction shook Cat. Ned Dayne has no such huge reason and nowhere near the same authority (or fear) even as a Lord.

14 minutes ago, corbon said:

He 'lets' them?
He is a child. Or at least he was when he heard the story. Even now, he may be Lord, but he's Beric's squire and probably hasn't lived at Starfall for years. Someone else runs Starfall on his behalf.

As said, "his sister" so previous lord. 

15 minutes ago, corbon said:

Which pretty much proves my point. Its a castle, there is gossip, things are said and other people hear them. Ned Stark had a huge reason to stop that particular gossip, and his reaction shook Cat. Ned Dayne has no such huge reason and nowhere near the same authority (or fear) even as a Lord.

And the gossips can be stopped, as proven by Eddard's actions. If you were a lord and had a sister who committed suicide, would you let your servants run around telling how she was knocked up by some other lord's son and then she had a stillborn daughter or had a son taken by the said person who is know a lord and also killed your brother and this is why she committed suicide? I know I wouldn't.

Again, not Ned Dayne as it's clearly stated, but his father. Or do you think Ned made the arrangement for his paging and squiring and also Allyria's betrothal when he wasn't even 8?

On 10/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

As said, "his sister" so previous lord. 

You lost me.
We know his father was Lord. We know his aunt Allyria was betrothed to Beric when Edric was seven and he became a page to Beric at the same time. So he hasn't been living at Starfall since then, though he has probably visited again. He may learned what he knows from Allyria before or after moving to Blackhaven, we can't tell.

We know his father, Ser Arthur's brother was Lord at some time. We don't know when his father died, when Edric became Lord, or if there was another brother/son in between that was Lord before Edric and died. We basically know almost nothing about the Dayne family. That may be because its small and there's no one else, or the others just may not have come up in any way yet (and may never).

Most likely, his father died after he was sent away, and he became Lord immediately but stayed with Beric while someone else ruled as regent. But we don't know that and shouldn't assume it.

All we know is that Edric got his information from Allyria, and both were (and still are) quite young. We don't know anything else about the story's origins, nature as official or just gossip, or anything. 

If you were a lord and had a sister who committed suicide, would you let your servants run around telling how she was knocked up by some other lord's son and then she had a stillborn daughter or had a son taken by the said person who is know a lord and also killed your brother and this is why she committed suicide? I know I wouldn't.

Err, thats not the story!

According to Ned Dayne (via Allyria Dayne), Ashara and Ned were in love. But Ned Dayne also tells Arya Wylla is Jon's mother, not Ashara. That's one of the clues that points to the story being gossip overheard by kids only.
Seriously. A+B were in love and yet A (honourable, never-the-boy-you-were Ned, not that Edric knows him so well) knocked up C while in love with B? Children can tell such a story, in their own way without being aware of what that means, but anyone who understands the implications properly isn't telling it.

And the gossips can be stopped, as proven by Eddard's actions. If you were a lord and had a sister who committed suicide, would you let your servants run around telling how she was knocked up by some other lord's son and then she had a stillborn daughter or had a son taken by the said person who is know a lord and also killed your brother and this is why she committed suicide? I know I wouldn't.

Yes, gossip can be stopped. By an icy cold Lord in his prime with a massive secret to hide. By a boy Lord for no real reason? Not so easily. Besides, Ned Dayne didn't stop any such story, he's telling it to Arya! (though not telling what you seem to think he's telling).
Ahh, you think its imperative for Edric's father, Lord Dayne, to stop such gossip around the castle? But there's no massive secret there, no dishonour. Edric knows Ashara suicided from the Palestone Tower and shares that info freely, so does much of Westeros (Barristan, Cersei, Cat). Both he and Allyria "know" Ned Stark and Ashara were in love, and he shares that freely. Much of Westeros has heard similar (Harwin, Cersei, Cat). He also 'knows' that Wylla is Jon's mum, and shares that freely too. AT least some of Westeros has heard that too (Robert).

There is no massive secret being hidden here by the Daynes. At least not about Ned and Ashara,

What there is, is a slightly confused children's tale about things that happened before they were born (or were old enough to understand such things), that sort of vaguely matches gossip heard in Kings Landing and Winterfell as well, and possibly even Lannisport. King Robert thinks Wylla is Jon's mum. Cat heard gossip about Ashara at Winterfell, as did Harwin and even Cersei has heard of Ned and Ashara as a possible pair.

Again, not Ned Dayne as it's clearly stated, but his father. Or do you think Ned made the arrangement for his paging and squiring and also Allyria's betrothal when he wasn't even 8?

I'm not entirely sure what you are claiming. We have only two references to Edric's father, Lord Dayne. One is that he was Ser Arthur's brother, and Edric's father the other that he was Lord. there's nothing even suggesting, let alone clearly stating, that Edric's father was involved in storytelling or story-squishing.
Its possible Edric's father did both. But there is no indication he did either and we shouldn't assume he did both.
Edric's father probably made the arrangements for betrothal and paging before he died, agreed. Probably. It could have been a regent,

Archived