Dish Network ditches HBO & Cinemax

aceluby

Found this out while logging on to our HBO Go account as we pay for our parents HBO through Dish and we use it via HBO Go.  Well, as of this weekend our logon no longer works and it looks like it may be a while (if ever) before this gets resolved.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/hbo-cinemax-go-dark-on-dish-network-exposing-cracks-in-their-platform-11015521

In short, AT&T, which owns DirecTV, wants Dish to have guaranteed minimum subscriber numbers for HBO after AT&T merged with Time Warner — TW wants to ramp up engagement in their new properties. The problem is that Dish is the one service catering to rural subscribers, most of whom don't have as much to spend on programming as those in cities. As a result, the percentage of subscribers on Dish for premium channels is lower than other providers.

HBO has gone dark on SlingTV as well.  I guess these same sorts of demands (i.e. minimum subscriber numbers, etc.) were being made of them, too?  While we live in a rural area, we were fortunate enough to be able to switch away from satellite tv and "cut the cord" when we got fiber optic internet access.  Now we've been cell phone-only for several years, subscribe to SlingTV for "cable", and use a digital antenna for local stations.  It works well and we really like it.  Kinda bummed about this whole HBO thing, though.  

Dish owns SlingTV, so HBO is dark for them too.  Dish can't really do anything about it either, so it's either pay their competitor the amount they are short for the 'minimum subscribers', which could always just increase as they keep paying them; or they let it go dark and see how long AT&T will let themselves lose money on lost subscriptions.  I think we're going to switch to HBONow and just stream it via our PS3/4

I did not know that Dish owns SlingTV.  Good to know.  Ironic, I really kind of loathed Dish network when satellite TV was our only option (hated that storms could interrupt signal, etc.) and, now that we have good fiber optic internet, I really like streaming programming.  My plan going forward for HBO is basically the same as yours - HBONow.   

Archived