Aenys I's rewards

A grateful King Aenys conferred knighthood on Brune, and rewarded Davos Baratheon, Samwell Tarly, No-Nose Dondarrion, Ellyn Caron, Allard Royce, and Goren Greyjoy with gold, offices, and honors. The greatest plaudits he bestowed on his own brother. On his return to King’s Landing, Prince Maegor was hailed as a hero. King Aenys embraced him before a cheering throng, and named him Hand of the King.

Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon

What office did King Aenys granted to these nobles who put down the rebellions at the start of his reign ? A place in his small council perhaps ?

Lord Royce's daughter, Alayne Royce, was part of Aenys's court and became a companion to Princess Rhaena, just like Samantha Stokeworth, Aenys's late Hand, Lord Alyn Stokeworth. It seems therefore probable Lord Allard Royce was at Aenys's court too. What do you think ? Also did Davos Baratheon became the Lord of Storm's End after his father's death ?

1 hour ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

What office did King Aenys granted to these nobles who put down the rebellions at the start of his reign ? A place in his small council perhaps ?

Possibly, but those aren't the only offices he could grant people (we know there are many more offices at court). Also, this is a summary of his rewards. We don't know whether all of the people mentioned got all three kinds of rewards or whether some just gold and/or honors.

Lord Royce's daughter, Alayne Royce, was part of Aenys's court and became a companion to Princess Rhaena, just like Samantha Stokeworth, Aenys's late Hand, Lord Alyn Stokeworth. It seems therefore probable Lord Allard Royce was at Aenys's court too.

I think Lord Allard could have become a member of the Small Council after he had helped overthrow Jonos Arryn. It doesn't fit well/sound convincing that he was in KL when Aenys prevaricated and decided not to send a fleet to the Vale. If he had been there then, he would have likely not gotten the time to do something about it. Alayne could have first met Rhaena simply as one of many young noblewomen who were sent to court, but since she is first mentioned only around the time Aenys announded Rhaena would marry Aegon (in 41 AC) it is also possible she came to court with her father if we assume he got some office at court (in his case the Small Council wouldn't be a bad idea).

What do you think ? Also did Davos Baratheon became the Lord of Storm's End after his father's death ?

That is what I expect, yes. Davos is the only mentioned son of Orys Baratheon, and we never hear anything about any cousins or uncles or aunts of Rogar's, so it stands to reason that he is the father. Also, it would be odd that King Aenys would reward Davos Baratheon particularly and not the actual successor of Lord Orys who would have likely also participated in the campaign. If Davos were a younger son and Rogar's father had predeceased Orys then and some of his brothers would have likely also been with the campaign. In fact, we should take it as a given that Rogar was with Davos and his grandfather or else the man would have had zero actual experience in warfare ... which isn't the message the book wants to send.

And George nearly blow that whole thing again when he made Rogar only ten years younger than Alyssa (and not fifteen or twenty) since that now necessitates that Argella got pregnant immediately after her marriage to create a scenario where Orys eldest son and heir (tentatively Davos) was married early enough so that his wife could give birth Rogar around 17 AC.

I imagine that with Orys being Hand of the King (and as such in KL the entire time, one imagines) and then going off to the Dornish War in 4 AC only to returned a depressed cripple in 7 AC that his and Aregella's marriage was neither particularly fertile nor necessarily a success even if she didn't die in childbirth early on or something of that sort. After all, he did slay her father and effectively usurped her place as Storm Queen. They may have found some modus vivendi at first (I expect that Argella ruled the Stormlands in his absence, both while he was Hand and while he was stuck in Dorne) but it would be very surprising if this marriage worked as the years passed and she had to deal with drowning himself in self-pity.

By the way, has there been any word on the Raymont Baratheon issue? The wiki still lists the man as 'existing' which I say is in doubt since FaB unless there has been an update on this by George. He would have to be a younger son of Orys's if he existed, of course, but that's in doubt now.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

And George nearly blow that whole thing again when he made Rogar only ten years younger than Alyssa (and not fifteen or twenty)

George and maths, an iconic duo to say the least.

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

By the way, has there been any word on the Raymont Baratheon issue?

The issue of Raymont Baratheon has been brought up in the Wiki thread before but the discussion has been inconclusive; we were not able to decide if we should delete him or not. Maybe things have changed since and we could revive the issue but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

The issue of Raymont Baratheon has been brought up in the Wiki thread before but the discussion has been inconclusive; we were not able to decide if we should delete him or not. Maybe things have changed since and we could revive the issue but I doubt it.

Well, if you ask me the article should at least mention that he might no longer exist now.

The way I think one should treat inconsistencies between the text and content of the novellas and TWoIaF in comparison to FaB (which is the final text version) which are confirmed to not be mistakes that will or might be corrected in later editions is that latest version stands. That is why we would not list Viserys II as the fourth son of Aegon III despite the facts that there are prints of AGoT claiming that.

The Raymont issue as well as some of the others (Daemon sleeping with Alicent, Aegon II's decree 'dequeening' Rhaenyra) have been pointed out to George as well as many others in the manuscript which were corrected. Those which weren't changed should be treated as George's final word on those issues ... unless there was an update on those.

I expect we may be able to expect some minor changes for the paperback edition of FaB, but who knows? Has anybody asked @Ran about that?

Archived