Matching Characters to Targaryen Kings

Viserys 2 is all about Tyrion and there's a lot of foreshadowing in there.

"I once had the great good fortune to see the Citadel's copy of Lives of Four Kings," Prince Oberyn was telling her lord husband. "The illuminations were wondrous to behold, but Kaeth was too kind by half to King Viserys."

Tyrion gave him a sharp look. "Too kind? He scants Viserys shamefully, in my view. It should have been Lives of Five Kings."

The prince laughed. "Viserys hardly reigned a fortnight."

"He reigned more than a year," said Tyrion.

Oberyn gave a shrug. "A year or a fortnight, what does it matter? He poisoned his own nephew to gain the throne and then did nothing once he had it."

"Baelor starved himself to death, fasting," said Tyrion. "His uncle served him loyally as Hand, as he had served the Young Dragon before him. Viserys might only have reigned a year, but he ruled for fifteen, while Daeron warred and Baelor prayed." He made a sour face. "And if he did remove his nephew, can you blame him? Someone had to save the realm from Baelor's follies."

Sansa was shocked. "But Baelor the Blessed was a great king. He walked the Boneway barefoot to make peace with Dorne, and rescued the Dragonknight from a snakepit. The vipers refused to strike him because he was so pure and holy."

"My prince is playing with you, Lady Sansa," said the woman Ellaria Sand. "The septons and singers like to say that the snakes did not bite Baelor, but the truth is very different. He was bitten half a hundred times, and should have died from it."

"If he had, Viserys would have reigned a dozen years," said Tyrion, "and the Seven Kingdoms might have been better served. Some believe Baelor was deranged by all that venom."

"Yes," said Prince Oberyn, "but I've seen no snakes in this Red Keep of yours. So how do you account for Joffrey?"

"I prefer not to." Tyrion inclined his head stiffly. "If you will excuse us. Our litter awaits."

Tyrion is pissed off Viserys II's service is generally overlooked, he doesn't get his credit. This is as Tyrion is perpetually feeling under appreciated, he saved the city and no-one thanked him blah blah.

Viserys II served as his nephew's Hand. He is rumoured to have poisoned his kingly nephew, causing his death. As Tyrion becomes accused of doing later in the day of this conversation.

He ruled while Daeron warred and Baelor prayed is foreshadowing that hasn't happened yet. Baelor foreshadows Lancel.

"Each night I make my bed beneath a different altar, and the Seven send me visions."

Baelor the Blessed once had visions too. Especially when he was fasting. "How long has it been since you've eaten?"

. . .

"You're more like to kill yourself with all this fasting. Didn't Baelor the Blessed fast himself onto a bier?"

. . .

"A pile of cold stones. I never asked for it. I never wanted it. I only wanted . . ." Lancel shuddered. "Seven save me, but I wanted to be you."

Jaime had to laugh. "Better me than Blessed Baelor.

. . .

"I said some words and gave her a red cloak, but only to please Father. Marriage requires consummation. King Baelor was made to wed his sister Daena, but they never lived as man and wife, and he put her aside as soon as he was crowned."

"The realm would have been better served if he had closed his eyes and fucked her. I know enough history to know that. In any case, you're not like to be taken for Baelor the Blessed."

Lancel will not become king but he will become High Septon, a troublesome fanatical one. One that gives reason to Tyrion thinking this,

In this instance Daeron is foreshadowing Jaime. Lancel will pray, Jaime will war, and Tyrion is going to rule.

Archived