Selyse Baratheon, Mover and Shaker

Curled Finger

Huddled beneath her ermine mantle and surrounded by her ladies, serving girls and knights, the southron queen seemed a frail, pale, shrunken thing. A strained smile was frozen into place on her thin lips, but her eyes brimmed with reverence. She hates the cold but loves the flames. He had only to look at her to see that. A word from Melisandre, and she would walk into the fire willingly, embrace it like a lover.

[Jon - Dance]

The Light of the North is struggling to shine in this scene (only fair, it is the season of darkness).

But omg - is she being compared with Dany here??!

31 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

The Light of the North is struggling to shine in this scene (only fair, it is the season of darkness).

But omg - is she being compared with Dany here??!

It really is a creepy passage.  Funny you related this to Dany and I rather took this to be Selyse imitating Mel.  

43 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I don't think you can talk about Selyse without bringing up her nuncle Axell into the conversation. He has been with her for at least 10 years and he is as nasty as she is. I wonder who is a worst influence on the other. They wanna burn Edric, they burn Alester. They're a fanatic mess.

I'm glad you caught the omission because Axell is very much a part of the madness.   I'm unclear whom was attempting to guide? impress? outdo? whom, but there is a synergy between Nuncle and Niece here.  We don't see as much of Axell Florent, but what I read was another true believer and I have problems with that because Axell does have land and power.  I suppose he could have been ambitious outside the lines, but falling in line with the "Burn them and let God sort them out" is only really apparent in a handful of characters.  I can understand desperate people or even an enlightened type of person getting on the R'hllor train, but I can't understand the blood lust among a definite some of them.  It's vicious outside the bounds of fanatacism.  They actually enjoy sacrificing life to R'hllor.  Thanks for opening this ugly dark door.  

On 7/14/2020 at 9:42 PM, Curled Finger said:

It really is a creepy passage.  Funny you related this to Dany and I rather took this to be Selyse imitating Mel.  

Without a doubt. There's a big overlap in their identity anyway - the queen at the wall. But there's more - Cersei is queen of Westeros and Light of the West; and she found the wildfire beautiful and even sort of sexy. Dany is queen in the east, and she thought the flames of the pyre were beautiful and felt ecstatic. That's three out of three! (Allowing that the queen in the south is Myrcella, and she's maybe too young and not properly queen yet.)

6 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Without a doubt. There's a big overlap in their identity anyway - the queen at the wall. But there's more - Cersei is queen of Westeros and Light of the West; and she found the wildfire beautiful and even sort of sexy. Dany is queen in the east, and she thought the flames of the pyre were beautiful and felt ecstatic. That's three out of three! (Allowing that the queen in the south is Myrcella, and she's maybe too young and not properly queen yet.)

I ask your forgiveness upfront.  I was invited to share crazy ideas in another topic and am fresh off the tin foil train.  You make a strong point here in the overlap of identity between Selyse and Melisandre.  Being in nut mode my initial thought in reading your words was Possession!  Having calmed down a bit it seems to me that Selyse has surrendered much of her identity to Mel.  I wonder if this is a consequence of Selyse being a naturally submissive person or if mezmerism is part of Mel's glamour.  

Archived