Jon’s song of Ice and Fire if R+L doesn’t equal J.

makaerystheunbidden

10 hours ago, corbon said:

Were they?

That's what we're told, so that's what I'm going with. When I think about the stone eggs, my mind goes directly to the unhatched dinosaur eggs. I know it's not the same, reality v. fantasy, but that's where my mind goes.

Dany thought the eggs were warm because of her connection to them and her blood. But if only death can pay for life, then this is what happened at Drogo's funeral pyre. Death paid for life. For what it's worth, I think what happened at Summerhall was payment for Rhaegar's life too.

10 hours ago, corbon said:

Which merely points to the dragons being a product of the resurgence of magic rather than the cause, no?

You're talking to someone who doesn't believe that magic was gone from the world because the dragons died. I think magic was still around, but in a weakened state. Otherwise, the spells and the magic that protects the Wall and Bloodraven's cave would have faltered. I'm not sure that greendreams and visions, warging/skinchanging would be a thing either. Thoros wouldn't have been able to raise Beric from the dead. Waymar Royce was raised as a wight a good year before the birth of the dragons. But I'm not sure the magic of the Others was affected one way or another by the death of the dragons.

The dragons themselves seem to have enhanced fire magic.

I haven't forgotten that I owe you a reply (I think, I haven't read your reply yet) in the RLJ thread. I just haven't had the time. The end of summer is always a very busy time for me.

9 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

That's what we're told, so that's what I'm going with.

Sure. My point being we're told that by people who are effectively entirely ignorant about Dragons. They are reporting what they see/feel/think, no more.

When I think about the stone eggs, my mind goes directly to the unhatched dinosaur eggs. I know it's not the same, reality v. fantasy, but that's where my mind goes.

I tend to think that dragons, being magical creatures, may have somewhat different capabilities through their life cycle, than Dinosaurs.
The dragon eggs certainly weren't 'fossilised'. They weren't 10s or 100s or 1000s of thousands of years old. Their very appearance of being 'stone' must be a natural-magical property, one way or another.

You're talking to someone who doesn't believe that magic was gone from the world because the dragons died. I think magic was still around, but in a weakened state.

Agreed. I said resurgence, not re-emergence.

The dragons themselves seem to have enhanced fire magic.

I thought that was basically an open question? Some people think they are the cause, but its also entirely possible they are an effect. Certainly fire magic is enhanced of late, and some characters put that down to the re-emergence of dragons, but I didn't think we had anything to show that there was actually a causal relationship. Merely that the measureable increase in power started at about the same time so people (including characters) put 2 and 2 together, as they do.

I haven't forgotten that I owe you a reply (I think, I haven't read your reply yet) in the RLJ thread. I just haven't had the time. The end of summer is always a very busy time for me.

Do you? :huh: I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it suits. Aside from life getting in the way for all of us at different times, conversations peter out at some stage inevitably.:cheers:
Most days I come here its not deliberately to continue a conversation (sometimes it is) but usually its the notifications that remind me what conversations I was in... :blush:

Archived