The Meereense blot

Dracul's Daughter

1 minute ago, Dracul's Daughter said:

You don't have to thank me.It's always great to have a civil conversation and see other points of view.Yes,it would have been great to see her built a new society without war but I will repeat myself: I find that at least almost impossible.People don't give up their way of life just like that,without a war.Plus,Martin had to get her to Westeros.

I think the main issue is not balancing conquest with rebuilding. Most of the criticisms around Dany, Feldman's included, are not about whether Dany should go to war but that she plans to conquer and move on. That was what she was on doing for the most part in Essos and what she reaffirms in the last chapter of Dance. The show's ending was also just a continuation of this strategy that is actually pretty Dothraki in nature, IMO.

4 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think the main issue is not balancing conquest with rebuilding. Most of the criticisms around Dany, Feldman's included, are not about whether Dany should go to war but that she plans to conquer and move on. That was what she was on doing for the most part in Essos and what she reaffirms in the last chapter of Dance. The show's ending was also just a continuation of this strategy that is actually pretty Dothraki in nature, IMO.

I understand your criticism and I agree that she should be more than a conquerer if she wants to rule or at least to have enough cleverness to put capable people that can carry her ideals when she leaves.I think that in her last chapter,her turning towards fire and blood comes from frustration rather than her refusal to put her mind into work for a better future.We can see from the text what's her idea of a good ruler : he/she protects the ones who can't protect themselves.Her peace with the Masters tied her hands to help Astapor,Yunkai started to sell slaves again outside her doors and in Meereen,the freedmen were hierd for a very low price,making their lives very difficult.Also,slaves from Volantis refused to believe that their mother would accept any agreement with the masters.

What the show did,was making her character "dirtier".You can see the difference even from her story in Qarth.

@Rose of Red Lake I also think that she and her dragons are ment to fight the Others,not necesarily to rule and she will need to realise that.I think that Martin wrote her character to be like a shock-wave : meant to change but not to be stable and I think that's what you were trying to say,that she does not offer stability (correct me if I'm wrong).In Essos she is the spark that started the revolution amongst the slaves and in Westeros she will be the flame in the Long Night that's about to come and I think that's the end that Martin has for her : dying fighting The Others.It will be interesting to see her actions in the rest of the story.

Archived